Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
Just picked up some new wheels yesterday and used one of my stock EX wheels with Goodyear tires as my spare tire replacement. I can't believe Honda gave us such a small donut temporary tire as the Pilot is not a light car and I feel that it would be kind of dangerous diving around with the temporary donut. Anyway, I have attached a picture of how a full size tire will look when installed in the spare tire compartment.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Your license plate, what happens if you dial it?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My license plate from is for my window tinting business called California Sunscreen. It is an 800 number but is only used within the greater Bay Area. (800)400-TINT. I don't think it works outside of the following area codes: 510, 415, 498, 707 and 925. Maybe a few others will work but I am not sure. If you would like any info regarding window tinting, you can call my shop at (510)483-TINT. Thanks.

If you are referring to the 1-877 55-HONDA, you will reach San Leandro Honda, the dealership where I purchased it from.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ca Sunscreen

I am going to tint all of my windows. What is the best brand of window tint in your opinion? And about how much should it cost for all windows? The driver and passenger will also be tinted according to AZ Law. Thanks

Desert Dogs

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Window tinting is very subjective. Everyone has a certain look that they like and some people like really dark tint and others like lighters shades of tint. The factory privacy glass is tinted around 20% which is what I consider a medium dark shade. I wanted a little more privacy for the cargo area because I am not planning on buying a cargo cover. This way you can put things in the back without worrying that people can readily see what's in there. I decided to go with a little bit lighter shade on the rear doors so that when my wife or I drive the car, our blind spot is not reduced to the point that I can't see what's there. The front doors are not legal to have tinted in California but I put a very light shade of tint which I think I will not get pulled over for.
As for types of window film, there are many to choose from. Most of the tint shops carry name brands which are a safe choice. The price will vary tremendously depending upon the area that you are in. I charge about $250 to tint all the windows behind the driver's and passengers front windows with our high performance hybrid film.
I used this brand new film made by Huper Optik which is ceramic based instead of metal based film. This offers a higher heat rejection than almost any films out on the market. You can check them out at www.huperoptikusa.com This film will cost $450 for the rear 7 windows of the Pilot. That is actually a little less than what some others are charging for the Huper films.
The film that I am using at my San Leandro store is made by Sungard and the type is called Desert Smoke II. I also carry Suntek High Performance Charcoal. Both films are hybrid which is a half metal and half dyed construction with a lifetime warranty backed by the film manufacturers. Make sure the installing dealer issues you a manufacturers warranty card all filled out with the type of film and the roll numbers in order to have a valid warranty. If anyone has a specific window tint question, please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Does it make a difference if the film is precut?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you say pre-cut, I am assuming that it is computer cut. If you have never tinted, then the pre-cut window films are ok. I have been tinting for over 15 years now and I truely believe that all windows are not exactly the same. I have heard that some tinters cut 2 windows at the same time to save time. I accidentally cut a pattern out for a rollup window but found out that the film was reversed rolled so it did not work on that window that I cut it for. I figured that it was no big deal so I used it on the other door. To my surprise, the window was off by almost 1/4" in one side so I had to bring the film up past the top and trim it off to get the film to line up properly. When I do rollup windows, I usually leave a 1/16" gap on the top edge. If you are lucky, both rollup windows will be exactly the same but I highly doubt it unless you are willing to accept a gap of around 1/4".

The moral is: computer cut films are great for windows like the Pilots back window, rear cargo windows, and the small fixed windows on the rear doors but it is not good for any of the rollup windows because those windows shift from side to side and it is usually not exactly the same pattern.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Litespeeds said:
The moral is: computer cut films are great for windows like the Pilots back window, rear cargo windows, and the small fixed windows on the rear doors but it is not good for any of the rollup windows because those windows shift from side to side and it is usually not exactly the same pattern.
From this I infer that you do not remove the glass from the door to apply the film. Is this correct?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You are correct. I do not remove any windows from the vehicle because I do not want to risk the chance of mis-alignment when I reinstall.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Can you recommend any tint shops in Southern California? I live in the Los Angeles area. My email is [email protected]

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do not have any recommendations in Southern California because I haven't seen any work from the shops down there. I would suggest you to check out www.tintdude.com and check the window tinters registry to see who is in that area. I think the person who set up the website is in Santa Barbara. Hope this link helps you out. Thanks for your inquiry.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
This evening I decided to take a closer look at the donut spare, in preparation for putting a full size spare in its place. To my knowledge it had never been lowered or checked since I got the vehicle June 3, 2002. It had only 44 pounds of air in a tire that requires 60. I pumped it to 62 and cranked it back into place.

The message- get in the regular habit of checking the pressure in the spare.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I replaced my donut a week ago with the full size spare I bought from borg. Here's a shot showing the tire getting a full 44 pounds of air in preparation for being mounted.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Here's what the underside of the Pilot looks like with the spare lowered.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 63 Posts