Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently replaced the fainted steering wheel emblem of my 09 Pilot. It was due for replacement since years (i live in Qatar). The replacement emblem alone is not officially available, yet luckily i found the item in eBay. The dimensions were exactly the same as the original.

• To make things easier, i removed the SRS unit from the steering assembly. Also the weather is too hot here to work inside the car. Followed the 09-11 Service Manual to do it. It was fairly easy.
  • I pried out the original emblem using a Phillips screw driver. It was not glued directly to plastic trim. Instead the plastic trim had few holes into which the emblem was fixed with some kind of chemical glue. I think it is synthetic based. This removal was the hardest part. I should have been more careful while prying. The plastic trim material is not really a rigid plastic, instead a soft highly flexible kind of thing. I think this is to facilitate the airbag operation. The problem is, due to this nature of material, any pressure you apply on it will leave mark on it (like a soft rubber). This is pretty obvious since i used a Phillips screw driver. I should have shown some patience there. Duh!.
  • That chemical thing is really strong. This was the best shape in which i could remove the original one.

• Make sure you pry out the emblem completely with the chemical thing. Don't leave anything inside Airbag space. While prying, just pull out the emblem near each hole and keep it steady. That part of the chemical inside the hole will come out due to the elasticity.

• Emblem completely removed: Don't mind the adhesive in it. I took the picture after trying to fix the new one.

• The replacement emblem. It is well built.

• You have to chisel away whatever protruding it has at the back. It had some mounting "legs" and side clips which were not in sync with the original design. Remove them and keep the back as flat as possible. The new one will fix into the original space (groove) perfectly.

• After fixing the new one. You can see the markings on it. This would have been a perfect job if i showed some patience there. Apart from that, the task is fairly easy. I hope it won't affect the Airbag Operation.

So guys, this is my first post in the forum. Share your thoughts. This should help someone. I'm sure, many of us have at-least thought of doing this if not done already.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Thanks for posting the step by step with pictures. Did you consider just carefully repainting it? Some of the prying and chiseling seems to have caused some damage.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Yes. I see.
I suggest buying the whole airbag than doing what this person did. Yes, a good used one can be $500 plus but that's better than loosing an eye because a piece of plastic remained inside the housing. Despite the fears, replacing the steering wheel airbag is not dangerous work as some suggest, that the airbag will go off. Just simply disconnect the negative terminal from the battery. Wait 10 minutes. Remove the 2 bolts in the sides holding the airbag in. Disconnect 3 wire conectors. Then do it in reverse. Connect battery. Videos on YouTube.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Thanks for posting the step by step with pictures. Did you consider just carefully repainting it? Some of the prying and chiseling seems to have caused some damage.

Plus the leather is all chewed up now around the shinny new emblem that may blow out in your face if your in an accident.
Please, find some silver paint instead.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
843 Posts
And in World News, in Qatar today a man was seriously injured in a traffic accident when the drivers airbag went off after a minor rear end collision. It seems as if the driver had replaced a faded plastic vehicle emblem on the steering wheel with a metal one on his Honda Pilot. Doctors say that the man suffered a concussion from the incident but they say he will recover, however he will have a permeant scar on his forehead in the shape of a large H.

Now over to Kelly for tomorrows weather......

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
And in World News, in Qatar today a man was seriously injured in a traffic accident when the drivers airbag went off after a minor rear end collision. It seems as if the driver had replaced a faded plastic vehicle emblem on the steering wheel with a metal one on his Honda Pilot. Doctors say that the man suffered a concussion from the incident but they say he will recover, however he will have a permeant scar on his forehead in the shape of a large H.

Now over to Kelly for tomorrows weather......
Hopefully he will read this thread and replace the airbag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts