Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2013 EX-L, 4WD, Pilot with about 130k miles. The alternator went bad and was under warranty so I took it to a shop to get fixed. They replaced the alternator but now the AC is not working. The AC was working just fine before the alternator went bad and now it just blows room temperature air.

When I looked under the hood to verify that the belt is routed correctly I noticed that there is a connector that is not hooked up. The wire harness that runs to the back of the alternator has a 4 pin connector that goes into the alternator that is connected. There is also a single purple wire that is no longer connected to anything. Could this be related to the A/C? I couldn't see where this is supposed to be connected. There isn't a place to connect it to the alternator so it must run to something else. Does anyone know what this wire is for?

Any other ideas on why the AC isn't working? Could a bad alternator somehow blow a fuse or cause some type of damage to the a/c system?

Thanks!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Since you paid a shop to do a simple job that they've screwed up, I suggest taking it back to them, pointing out the dangling bits, and asking them to complete the job. You might want to test other electrical items (lights, rear A/C, etc.) before you leave the shop.

Any other ideas on why the AC isn't working? Could a bad alternator somehow blow a fuse or cause some type of damage to the a/c system?
It might be possible, but you would probably see symptoms with more than just the A/C. Get everything hooked up again before trying to troubleshoot further.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Check to see if the A/C relay is bad. The fuse is under the hood( Assuming you have heating seats, take the relay from the heated seat and swapped with the one for A/C. If the A/C unit turns on, the relay is bad.) You can get one at Advance Auto. If you have questions about which fuse and location, your owners manual will tell you. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
The purple pigtail is in fact the connection to the AC compressor clutch coil. It connects to a red wire from the compressor clutch relay in the main under-hood fuse/relay box that others mention. Reconnect the wire and you should restore compressor function.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help! I'm going to take it back to the shop, but since they left it like this I am not too confident. Good to know that this should solve the problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
The shop forgot to re install the connector to the compressor. Reach your hand and see if you can reconnect. The shop might not know this in advance but when the alternator gets replaced the ac compressor harness needs to be moved out of the way , they just forgot to plug it back in

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your help. I received the new connector today, crimped it onto the wire, plugged it into the compressor and the AC fired right up. Hard to reach from under the hood, but was fairly easy to reach from under the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts