Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My insurance company contracts with a Safelite call center to manage its glass claims. I just called to arrange windshield repairs for our Pilot and our other vehicle, both of which took rock chips recently. These are repairs and not windshield replacements. During the call, the rep said that wiper blade replacements were recommended for windshield repairs and tried to sell me some as part of the repair service. I passed and said I would take care of it myself.

Unfortunately I've become all too familiar with auto glass replacement in recent years, having had numerous windshield replacements and repairs. I have never read or heard a recommendation to replace wiper blades in that situation - including from Safelite, which attempted to repair and ultimately replaced one of the windshields that we're about to get repaired again. I'm pretty skeptical it needs to be done.

Was this an honest, legitimate recommendation or an attempt to upsell an extra service? I want to know how annoyed by this I should be.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's all upsell BS, just walk away after windshield has been replaced and paid for.
I suspect it is too, but I wanted to seek others' opinions. I know upselling is part of the world we live in, but to tell me that replacing the blades is a recommended practice when it isn't is just deception that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Honestly, if they had instead said, "While we're working on the windshield anyway, can we replace the blades?" I wouldn't have cared at all.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Just out of curiosity what does a glass chip repair cost? And do the small cracks “disappear” after the repair is performed?

I just tried one of those glass chip repair kits from Amazon on a few locations on my wife’s Pilot. While the size of the cracks shrunk they are definitely still visible. The cracks started out about 1cm long.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just out of curiosity what does a glass chip repair cost? And do the small cracks “disappear” after the repair is performed?

I just tried one of those glass chip repair kits from Amazon on a few locations on my wife’s Pilot. While the size of the cracks shrunk they are definitely still visible. The cracks started out about 1cm long.
I had two chips repaired yesterday through Safelite and it was $69 each. The remaining spot was perhaps 1/4 to 1/2 the size of a pencil eraser and was barely visible...it looked a little like a smudge, like bug splatter.

Of course those were just chips and not longer cracks. So your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Now I don’t feel so bad that the small cracks didn’t completely fill in and disappear since the professionals can’t make that happen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts