Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Honda Pilot Exl 200km
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to pull the cylinder heads from a 2011 Honda Ridgeline. They are non-vcm.

Is it possible to replace a vcm head with a non-vcm head?

I suspect the ecm might need to be modified?

Thanks.

Patrick.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I managed to pull the cylinder heads from a 2011 Honda Ridgeline. They are non-vcm.

Is it possible to replace a vcm head with a non-vcm head?

I suspect the ecm might need to be modified?

Thanks.

Patrick.
If you figure out how to modify the ecm to work without the head sensors (oil pressure and spool valve solenoid) do let us know. If you figure out how to modify the ecm for any VCM signal I/O, you'll be an immediate hero. I guess you could "fake" those head sensors with resistors, but you may still get codes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking worst case scenario, the ecm reports that the vcm is broken - hopefully it does not attempt to engage it.

It may throw an engine light up. If one could figure out a way to turn off the engine light for the code, then we would be good to go.

Worst case, you drive with the engine light on.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I was thinking worst case scenario, the ecm reports that the vcm is broken - hopefully it does not attempt to engage it.

It may throw an engine light up. If one could figure out a way to turn off the engine light for the code, then we would be good to go.

Worst case, you drive with the engine light on.
That's true, but driving with codes and dash lights on, doesn't seem like a good idea since you can't be sure they aren't trying to tell you something else. I think the people who came up with VCM disablers did their homework to come up with ways to disable VCM and what they ended up with seems to be the best that can be done right now under the current designs. @verbatim who is an active member here, the designer/producer of the VCMuzzler I&II, did most of the bleeding edge research and may be willing to discuss the pitfalls of what you're wanting to do in better detail than I can. Because of the way the ECU works with tentacles all over the place, it's difficult to fool it. Substituting in major engine components from other model Hondas is usually not a pretty sight to watch.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's true, but driving with codes and dash lights on, doesn't seem like a good idea since you can't be sure they aren't trying to tell you something else. I think the people who came up with VCM disablers did their homework to come up with ways to disable VCM and what they ended up with seems to be the best that can be done right now under the current designs. @verbatim who is an active member here did most of the bleeding edge research and may be willing to discuss the pitfalls of what you're wanting to do.
You could use an odbd reader to ensure that no other codes are being fired.

I guess my main concern is the camshaft/rocker arms. They seem to be different on vcm and non vcm systems.

I am trying to understand mechanically what the difference, if any might be.

I think that the guys who came up with the vcm disabler were probably focused on looking for a cheap, quick fix, something that did not require modifying a head.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
You could use an odbd reader to ensure that no other codes are being fired.

I guess my main concern is the camshaft/rocker arms. They seem to be different on vcm and non vcm systems.

I am trying to understand mechanically what the difference, if any might be.
There are also differences between cams on VCM heads and heads off VTEC and iVTEC engines and I think even if you know the differences, it will lead you to the same conclusion; that you don't want to even try it. But if you are successful, please share what you did.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are also differences between cams on VCM heads and heads off VTEC and iVTEC engines and I think even if you know the differences, it will lead you to the same conclusion; that you don't want to even try it. But if you are successful, please share what you did.
That is true,

But these engines are somewhat flexible - and not particularly complicated. a head swap is typically not a big deal.

I don't think the vcm enabled vehicles have vtec. I think vcm sort of replaces vtec.

I guess the question is, does the ecm first check to see if vcm is available before it attempts to enable it. If so, then simply adding a non-vcm head may solve the problem.

Only one way to find out :)

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
That is true,

But these engines are somewhat flexible - and not particularly complicated. a head swap is typically not a big deal.

I don't think the vcm enabled vehicles have vtec. I think vcm sort of replaces vtec.

I guess the question is, does the ecm first check to see if vcm is available before it attempts to enable it. If so, then simply adding a non-vcm head may solve the problem.

Only one way to find out :)
Right, but do your really want to put a VTEC cam on a VCM engine?

I don't think the ecm checks to see if VCM is "available" but it's constantly checking sensors all over the engine and transmission, and if any report back "not here or not working" ... you'll get DTCs and lights. The system is just too integrated to swap out parts from different model engines. It may be no big deal to do, but you may not like the result. Keep us posting on how it works out for you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, I don't want to put vtec on the pilot. I just want it to run at full power all of the time.

And who knows what the ecm does. I am a software developer, and If I wrote the code, that is what I would do.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
No, I don't want to put vtec on the pilot. I just want it to run at full power all of the time.

And who knows what the ecm does. I am a software developer, and If I wrote the code, that is what I would do.
Wouldn't it be simpler, easier, faster, cheaper, smarter, etc. to just install a VCM disabler? Can you change a head in 1 minute?

Writing the code is one thing, poking it into the ecm requires knowing where to put it, how to get it there, having the right interface to do it, and what other parts of the whole operating system it will affect and how. If you have all those marbles together, then you have a very bright future in automotive software engineering. Keep up the good work exploring alternative possibilites. I'm sure you're smart enough to make a copy of the existing software before meddling with it. Treat it like the registry for Wndows. You don't want to brick an entire car. Good luck!

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Did the OP even say what year Pilot he was trying this with? And is this just to get rid of the VCM, or does his motor need a new head(s)?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Unfortunately I think something like that really happened
They do 2 totally different things though, the VCM and a VTEC?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Vehicles equipped with VCM[edit]
Honda Models With VTEC®
You’ll find VTEC® Honda engines in an array of 2018 Honda models. These include:
  • 2018 Honda Accord Sedan trims
  • 2018 Honda Clarity Plug-in Hybrid trims
  • 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Other 2018 and 2019 Honda models are equipped with i-VTEC® Honda engines, which add Variable Timing Control to the engine for even more efficiency.
Honda Models With I-VTEC®
  • 2018 Honda Civic Sedan LX and EX trims
  • 2018 Honda Civic Coupe LX and LX-P trims
  • 2018 Honda CR-V LX trim
  • 2018 Honda HR-V trims
  • 2018 Honda Pilot trims
  • 2019 Honda Odyssey trims
  • 2019 Honda Ridgeline trims
  • 2019 Honda Fit trims

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Check out this alphabet soup

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Check out this alphabet soup

Oh yeah, clear as mud now!

Is it 4WD, or AWD?

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I was under the assumption that VTEC increased HP/TQ, and VCM was a fuel saving/power limiting thing.
One increase HP, one shuts down injectors/cylinders for better MPG

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD, 2017 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD
50 Posts
This press release does talk about higher intake valve lift at 5,350 rpm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 79 Posts