Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, was just reading online about how manufacturers recommend replacing spark plugs every 30-50k miles.
I've never had mine replaced on my 2015 Pilot, and as far as I can tell, I have no obvious symptoms that would suggest I need to.
I have about 120k miles on mine. Is there any reason for me to replace them until I notice an issue??

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the 12-15 Pilot has iridium plugs which are designed for 100k.

One bad side effect of VCM is that it can foul spark plugs.

When I changed mine at 105k, the engine was running poorly and I found two plugs (#1 & #3) were caked with crud.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
On modern vehicles, I don't replace the plugs until I get a code, rough idle, misfire, etc.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
At 120k, the gap in your plugs is no longer the recommended .044 . It widens with use. This can effect fuel economy. They should be replaced. I replace spark plugs when I do the timing belt job.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
52 Posts
me personally I rather change them out a bit earlier than 100k in order to prevent any further damage to the engine....misfires are not good

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,535 Posts
Larger spark plug gaps will also place additional stress on the coil packs. Spark plugs are much cheaper than decent coil packs, so why risk it?

Reactions: osvaldo516

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all, watching youtube videos to learn the procedure and see what new tools I need to (I get to... :) ) go buy!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I changed mine at 100k they were rusted nothing else .. major improvement in horsepower came back once done :)

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Thanks all, watching youtube videos to learn the procedure and see what new tools I need to (I get to... :) ) go buy!
10 mm socket
spark plug socket 3/8 + 6 " 3/8 extension ..duct tape these two together and once done toss it in your tool box . The spark plugs are deep and this little trick i used for years on my 3 Pilots.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
10 mm socket
spark plug socket 3/8 + 6 " 3/8 extension ..duct tape these two together and once done toss it in your tool box . The spark plugs are deep and this little trick i used for years on my 3 Pilots.
Thanks. I did see mention of the extension needed, but I think one of the vids I watched said he didn't have room to get both pieces together in the front section, that he had to drop one into the spark plug hole and then push the extension onto it?
I think I have a magnet rod in my tool kit, can hopefully fish anything out that I drop in and cant get to work...

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Thanks. I did see mention of the extension needed, but I think one of the vids I watched said he didn't have room to get both pieces together in the front section, that he had to drop one into the spark plug hole and then push the extension onto it?
I think I have a magnet rod in my tool kit, can hopefully fish anything out that I drop in and cant get to work...
I also forgot to mention I have a swivel on the socket and the extension .. that allows a little play to navigate past things ..in the fan area just pop it up in the blade area once the socket is in place
then attach the socket wrench ..

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,535 Posts
Also get an 18” piece of fuel line or other tubing with an inner diameter which fits on the spark plug’s coil pack mating tip. It prevents stripping the threads on the spark plug ports when you initially screw in the spark plugs. The tubing will slip before any cross threading occurs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all, replaced the 6 plugs today with only a brief minute of 'oh crap' when I had trouble getting the extension of the ratchet off the spark plug socket on one of the rear plugs.......little tap of a hammer on the edge did the trick and fished it out with a shorter extension.
The truck started, lol, success. Can't say I notice anything different, guess I just have to have faith that it needed to be done after 5 years and 120k miles... :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Instead of a 6" extension I used two 3" extensions. I put the socket on one of the extensions, put it on the spark plug the put the other extension on. Just a little easier in tight spaces.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thats exactly what I used to fish it out, 3 inch extension.
Oil changes, spark plugs.........next thing to learn will hopefully be rotors and brake pads :) I think I'll be due for those in the fall.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Thats exactly what I used to fish it out, 3 inch extension.
Oil changes, spark plugs.........next thing to learn will hopefully be rotors and brake pads :) I think I'll be due for those in the fall.
They are easy! My brake job tips are as follows:

1. Get an impact screwdriver for the little phillips head screws holding the rotors on. The right tool makes that screw take 10 seconds to get off.
  2. Make sure you use a high quality caliper grease on the slide pins. Pull them all out, clean them up and re-grease them.
  3. If the front rotors are "stuck", take a 3 lb maul and give the rotor firm strikes around the perimeter. It doesn't take a ton of force and the rotor will pop off.
  4. For the rears you may need to back off the parking brake star wheel through the rubber plug at the bottom. I've never needed to, I usually give it some taps with the maul then you can shimmy the rotor straight off, don't pull one side too much or it will bind on the parking brake shoes.
  5. Have fun!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks! #'s 1 & 2 already taken care of, as well as a few other things like caliper spreader, bungy cords to hang caliper etc, just from watching youtube. What you mention in #4, I'm not sure I remember seeing mention of that in any of the videos I watched, will have to take another look as I really can't visualize any of this since all new to me.

Also - Any particular rotors and pads that are especially recommended to go with? Bonus points if available in Canada. Not looking to break the bank, just want stuff that works. Is it best to just buy the stock parts from my Honda dealer?

Thx!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts