Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so recently a fairly slight steering wheel vibration is showing up during hard braking, especially on downhill stretches in the mountains.

I purchased the vehicle with roughly 91k miles on it, it has nearly 104k now. It lived its life in Utah, so perhaps a lot of mountain driving, and since I've gotten it I've done a lot of mountain driving as well.

I've read many things on this site, including that #1 issue of warped rotors is improper torquing of lug nuts, and that it is perhaps brake pad deposits from casual braking and can be fixed with some braking behavior detailed here:

Also I seem to read that Honda rotors suck, or at least the ones they put on the Pilots are insufficient, so perhaps after 104k miles I really do need new rotors? Before I got the vehicle it was always served by Ken Garff Honda in Ogden, UT.

Last brake service was nearly 20k miles ago, carfax simply says "brake calipers cleaned/serviced", and "brakes serviced"

Should I have a mechanic measure the rotors first and then take it from there? If they need replacing, what brands/models are good specifically if I plan to continue doing a lot of mountainous driving.

Or should I try the prescribed brake deposit method first and see if that fixes the issue?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Brake pulsing is a known Honda issue with factory brakes... I replaced ours with this set right after purchase at 30k. We are around 65k and they look good and perform great.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Or should I try the prescribed brake deposit method first and see if that fixes the issue?
There's nothing to lose by trying a series of hard, partial braking events to see if that removes the deposits.

Also, try modifying your braking technique, in case you tend to sit with your foot hard on the brake pedal when at a stop after mountain (or any other) braking.
Pulsating Brakes -- 2012 Pilot Touring

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
784 Posts
Well considering that rotors generally have a lifespan between 30,000 and 70,000 miles depending on driving conditions and driving habits, and since the last service does not list rotor replacement or turning, you might want to have them checked to see if they just need resurfaced or replaced. No use fixing what ain’t broke, fix what needs fixing.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Re-bed the pads with a few hard almost-stops from freeway speed in quick succession. That scrubs off uneven pad material accumulations from the rotors. Lots of warped-rotor symptoms are uneven pad material deposition on the friction faces. Cause is often related to rolling to a full stop after firm braking, and pressing hard on the pedal after the car is stopped. Relax the pedal some the last feet of roll as you come to a stop, and keep just enough pressure to keep the car from rolling.

I suspect that problem is related to the pad materials rather than the metal the rotor is cast from.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I prefer Centric rotors and pads- I use the "Centric Plain 120 Series Cryo-Treated Rotors" for the front and standard for the rear on both of my vehicles. I always pair with their posi quiet pads too.

Wife has a pretty heavy foot and this bedding processs works fine my family and vehicles, no warping!
Link: Bedding In Brake Rotors

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts