Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, on my 2005 Honda Pilot LX 4WD, when the check engine light and VTM-4 light flashed intermittently, it was induced by the failing throttle body. Thus does the throttle body need to be replaced or just serviced? I was quoted a price of $500 and up and that's too much for me. Need your help/advice. Thanks

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,306 Posts
When was the last time your VTM-4 fluid was changed? If you can't remember, start with that.

Can you get the codes read?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,188 Posts
I think there are two things you can do to clean the throttle body. The first is to clean the MAP sensor with an appropriate spray. The other thing you can do is clean the deposits off the butterfly plate and surrounding area. If you end up removing the throttle body from the intake manifold, so that you can clean the engine side, you’ll likely need to replace the gasket. Mine was stuck on and required a razor blade to remove it. But what makes you think the throttle body is going bad?

Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
31 Posts
A DIY cleaning of the throttle body is not too difficult and won't cost very much. It may not take care of the problem but it might and it sure won't hurt if it hasn't ever been done. While you're at it I'd also do a cleaning of the MAF sensor. Each one will require its own SPECIFIC spray cleaner. I did mine last week and a can of each cost me less than $15 total. However, a heads up on the throttle body intake assembly; when I took mine (2011 Pilot) off the throttle body to get at it the rubber had dried and cracked leaving an open crack halfway around the circumference in the middle of the intake. That was $40 bucks at a local auto parts store and I lucked out there was one open since this happened at 3PM on a Sunday afternoon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think there are two things you can do to clean the throttle body. The first is to clean the MAP sensor with an appropriate spray. The other thing you can do is clean the deposits off the butterfly plate and surrounding area. If you end up removing the throttle body from the intake manifold, so that you can clean the engine side, you’ll likely need to replace the gasket. Mine was stuck on and required a razor blade to remove it. But what makes you think the throttle body is going bad?

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for your prompt response, it was enlightening.

The throttle body issue was derived from a code readout from the plug in code tester. However, I forgot to ask for the code from the mechanic.

Our problem was the performance was intermittent and the check engine light goes on and stays on for a while then turns off for several days and comes back on. When that happens, the power diminishes to a crawl triggered by the VTM-4 light that so goes on and off for a while. As a result, I switch the ignition off and let the car rest for a little while. After I turn the ignition back on, I head back out on the road. It will repeat a vicious cycle.

I thought it was due to the spark plug and ignition coil as per the other help sources. However, the NAPA mechanic ruled it out and said it's due to the throttle body as pulled out from the code tester.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also does the vtm-4 fluid need a top up?

I may have missed maintaining the vtm-4 fluid. Do i need to bring it to the dealership to replace it or maintain it? Also where do they add the vtm-4 fluid? Is it to the differential?

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
While you're at it I'd also do a cleaning of the MAF sensor.
Scotty's such a hoot. I know he might drive some people nuts, but even taking off points for clickbait titles and hyperbole, it beats watching SpongeBob SquarePants. :D

Just a note for folks in the 2003-2008 subforum: we have a MAP sensor. Semantics, maybe, but there you go.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Also does the vtm-4 fluid need a top up?

I may have missed maintaining the vtm-4 fluid. Do i need to bring it to the dealership to replace it or maintain it? Also where do they add the vtm-4 fluid? Is it to the differential?

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.
You bet it does, especially if you can't remember if it's ever been done. Use only Honda VTM-4 fluid. You can DIY it with a little hand pump. Tip: lower the spare for easier access. And loosen the fill bolt first, just in case.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
also is it safe to drive for only 54 miles (86 km) to the Honda dealer in Morristown, Tennessee with the following problems: 1) check engine light (CEL) coming on and staying on after parking; 2) VTM-4 light that goes on like 10min or 5min after the CEL lights on; 3) a code identifying a throttle body problem was identified by a certain code that shows impaired acceleration & deceleration; 4) inconsistent tightness of the steering that a mechanic says could be a rack & pinion issue.

Thank you very much for your responses, I greatly appreciate them!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
also is it safe to drive for only 54 miles (86 km) to the Honda dealer in Morristown, Tennessee with the following problems: 1) check engine light (CEL) coming on and staying on after parking; 2) VTM-4 light that goes on like 10min or 5min after the CEL lights on; 3) a code identifying a throttle body problem was identified by a certain code that shows impaired acceleration & deceleration; 4) inconsistent tightness of the steering that a mechanic says could be a rack & pinion issue.
If you're going to drive that far to the dealer with issues 3+4 it might be worthwhile to consider flat bed tow. Dealer evaluation could be worthwhile as well as an estimate for the repairs. Maybe you will get lucky needing only PS and VTM-4 fluid replacement.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
If there is a shop in your town which specializes in Honda you might consider that. But if you need to drive it any significant distance I’m with Aggrex that the flatbed tow might be the way to go. Driving a vehicle with impaired acceleration is not something I would recommend.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey everyone. Also how many TPMS sensors are really required? The mechanic only replaced the front right and left rear sensors but the TPMS still lights up persistently. Do I really need to replace all 4 TPMS sensors on my 2005 Honda Pilot 4wd LX?

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
There is a sensor scanner some tire places have that can determine which TPMS sensors are bad (not transmitting) by putting it up against each tire.

However, since installing TMPS sensors is usually done when tires are removed from rims (there are some iffy workarounds), it's best practice to replace all four at once, so you don't have to go back and replace them one at a time when they die at staggered times. Easiest time to do that is when you get new tires put on, as the batteries in TPMS sensors typically last seven to ten years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also does 2005 Honda Pilot LX have a 4 wheel TPMS sensor as standard equipment? We experienced the check engine light (CEL) lighting up and VTM-4 lighting up whenever the TPMS light on the dash lights up. We need help, it's really urgent! We got stranded just off the interstate (I-75). Luckily, after I shut off the engine for 15 minutes, I was able to restart the car and thus was able to proceed. Thanks God!

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
The 2006 does. Can't say for a 2005. Surely @Rocky knows, since he had a 2005.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
We experienced the check engine light (CEL) lighting up and VTM-4 lighting up whenever the TPMS light on the dash lights up. We need help, it's really urgent! We got stranded just off the interstate (I-75). Luckily, after I shut off the engine for 15 minutes, I was able to restart the car and thus was able to proceed. Thanks God!
Doubtful TPMS is the primary culprit for getting stranded. Take the Pilot to a local auto parts store (Advance/Autozone) for free code scan and post them here for discussion. Something more than TPMS might be going on.

·
Registered
2005 Honda pilot EX-L (Big Ronda)
160 Posts
Hey everyone. Also how many TPMS sensors are really required? The mechanic only replaced the front right and left rear sensors but the TPMS still lights up persistently. Do I really need to replace all 4 TPMS sensors on my 2005 Honda Pilot 4wd LX?
Yes because the batteries die on the sensors and you'll eventually change them all out anyways at some point if you want it functioning correctly.

·
Registered
2005 Honda pilot EX-L (Big Ronda)
160 Posts
Also does 2005 Honda Pilot LX have a 4 wheel TPMS sensor as standard equipment? We experienced the check engine light (CEL) lighting up and VTM-4 lighting up whenever the TPMS light on the dash lights up. We need help, it's really urgent! We got stranded just off the interstate (I-75). Luckily, after I shut off the engine for 15 minutes, I was able to restart the car and thus was able to proceed. Thanks God!
The sensors are only for tire pressure and they dont effect the other systems as far as I know. I have a 2005 ex-l and I have TPMS sensors. Our 05's do have a drive by wire throttle. So if the throttle is bad like I believe you stated before thats a good place to start. They mechanically function the butterfly using plastic gears. It could also be the TPS (throttle postion sensor) its on the passenger side firewall and has the throttle cable running to it. Kinda crude but hey it works 🙂 get it scanned first so you can narrow down the issue.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
The 2005 has TPMS sensors as standard equipment. As mentioned above, I have not had TPMS, CEL, and VTM-4 light come on at the same time. Get the codes read so you know what you're up against.

Did you end up having the rear differential (VTM-4) fluid changed? You mentioned there was a VTM-4 issue a few months ago.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ super fancy seats
62 Posts
What ever happened? My VTM-4 light was on a lot until I changed the differential fluid. It did come on randomly until after I cleaned all the intake stuff and replaced the upper coolant temp sensor and idle air control sensor. It stays off now and my idle is great. I'm sure I will have more tweeking in the near future but making sure your air intakes are all clear will help you get accurate readings on other sensors.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts