Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
09 Pilot, 157K miles, North Texas

Got replace gas cap message. Replaced it with OEM gas cap. Message still keeps displaying. After a month or so, I got CEL and VTM-4 with P145C & P0497 codes. After several days, CEL & VTM-4 goes off and got replace gas cap again. Then after a few days, got CEL again (NO VTM-4 yet).

I just passed inspection in March and don't need another inspection until March next year (6 months). How long can I put off taking my vehicle to the mechanic? What happens if I just don't do anything other than checking OBD codes often to make sure I don't get other codes?

Thanks.
Rico

·
Registered
115 Posts
09 Pilot, 157K miles, North Texas

Got replace gas cap message. Replaced it with OEM gas cap. Message still keeps displaying. After a month or so, I got CEL and VTM-4 with P145C & P0497 codes. After several days, CEL & VTM-4 goes off and got replace gas cap again. Then after a few days, got CEL again (NO VTM-4 yet).

I just passed inspection in March and don't need another inspection until March next year (6 months). How long can I put off taking my vehicle to the mechanic? What happens if I just don't do anything other than checking OBD codes often to make sure I don't get other codes?

Thanks.
Rico

·
Registered
115 Posts
This is a easy fix, you need to replace the purge control valve. This is a common issue on Honda’s . You Tube is your friend and will walk you through the replacement of the part.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That’s the part. It’s in the engine compartment near the intake manifold. You will need to take the Plastic engine cover off. It will be on the driver’s side.
It turned out to be easy to replace. I'm not very handy and haven't done these type of repairs before. But all it took was a flathead screwdriver to pop off the engine cover fasteners, philip's head screwdriver to remove the 2 screws holding the part, and pliers to loosen the hose clips. The whole thing tool several minutes. It's just tricky to remove the screws because of the tight space and I didn't want to remove other parts to move them out of the way.
And I got a cheap one from Amazon for $20. If it doesn't hold up (some claim they were used factory parts), then I'll spring for the more expensive ones that are guaranteed new.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It turned out to be easy to replace. I'm not very handy and haven't done these type of repairs before. But all it took was a flathead screwdriver to pop off the engine cover fasteners, philip's head screwdriver to remove the 2 screws holding the part, and pliers to loosen the hose clips. The whole thing tool several minutes. It's just tricky to remove the screws because of the tight space and I didn't want to remove other parts to move them out of the way.
And I got a cheap one from Amazon for $20. If it doesn't hold up (some claim they were used factory parts), then I'll spring for the more expensive ones that are guaranteed new.
Glad, it worked out. That’s also a great price for the part!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts