Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The right front inner tie rod end has needed replacing 3 times in the last 37,000 miles. This car sees easy driving by my wife and she avoids NY pot holes. Last 2 replacements were only 10k miles apart. The replacements are being done by the dealer under extended warranty but this will get expensive once that runs out in a couple years. She drove our 2007 Pilot and we did not have this problem at all when it was traded in at 150k miles. The service writer at the dealer came close to admitting the parts in the 2014 may not be as robust as those in the 2007. Could there be another problem in the front end that is shortening the life of this part? Anybody else having this problem?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
The right front inner tie rod end has needed replacing 3 times in the last 37,000 miles. This car sees easy driving by my wife and she avoids NY pot holes. Last 2 replacements were only 10k miles apart. The replacements are being done by the dealer under extended warranty but this will get expensive once that runs out in a couple years. She drove our 2007 Pilot and we did not have this problem at all when it was traded in at 150k miles. The service writer at the dealer came close to admitting the parts in the 2014 may not be as robust as those in the 2007. Could there be another problem in the front end that is shortening the life of this part? Anybody else having this problem?
In what way is the tie rod failing? Bent? Worn ball joint? Stripped threads? ...... ? Alignment checked? Other suspension parts checked and good? Struts, Control arms? Ask for the old one they replaced and compare it to your 2007's tie rods and see if the damaged one is thinner or inferior somehow. I tend to think if the part were inadequate, Honda would issue a different one. Must be something else going on to go throughtthem that fast. Is the car hard to steer? Is the steering wheel turned a lot when the car isn't moving? I often see people doing that a lot when trying to parallel park or even k-turn. Makes me cringe.

·
Registered
550 Posts
We haven't had any repeat repairs, dealer better hope they are actually bad. If it's Honda extended warranty, Honda will absolutely call for them back to investigate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only justification I hear is that they "are out of factory specs". I don't have any of the defective ones nor one from my 2007 Pilot. These are being covered under Honda's Extended Warranty. We cannot detect anything wrong with the steering. There doesn't seem to be excessive play and it is easy to steer.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Shocks, worn wheel bearings, bad/not round/out of balance tires, bent rim risk a vibration that might affect the inner joint in a tie rod. But that quickly... wow! Usually, by the time you've chewed through a couple inner tie rods, the outer tie rod and rack are suffering too.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I missed why you are taking it in for service; knocking noises, vibration in steering wheel, shimmy? Or are they finding these inner tie rods bad when you go in for routine service?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
The only justification I hear is that they "are out of factory specs". I don't have any of the defective ones nor one from my 2007 Pilot. These are being covered under Honda's Extended Warranty. We cannot detect anything wrong with the steering. There doesn't seem to be excessive play and it is easy to steer.
Is the car in the dealer's hands for some other reason than a front end complaint when they determine the tie rods are out of factory spec? If the car is in for other service do you have any idea why they are checking the tie rods?. You're not on trial but I'm just curious why if there isn't any excessive play and it is easy to steer, why the car is at the dealership for service, and why they're checking the tie rods. Maybe there's some missing information that might help figure out what's going on. Or maybe I'm reading more into this than there's cause to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I missed why you are taking it in for service; knocking noises, vibration in steering wheel, shimmy? Or are they finding these inner tie rods bad when you go in for routine service?
The problem is being found during a routine inspection during an oil change or other scheduled service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should have made this a general reply. The problem is being found during an overall inspection as part of a scheduled service such as an oil change. I did not notice anything unusual with the steering or handling prior to the service.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Something sounds fishy. Just because they say "out of factory specs" doesn't give any information about why they think they are faulty and felt the need to check them against specifications. Excessive play? Visible damage? I'd get them to elaborate on just what aspect is "out of factory specs".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts