Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend, I rock hit my windshield. I did a visual inspection and did not notice anything. This morning I saw a 12 inch curved crack which originated from the point where the rock it my windshield. The reason I did not see it is, the crack started where my county sticker is (bottom center).

Anyway, does anybody know if this is repairable? Is it worth repairing or just replace the windshield?

How much does a repair usually cost and are they reliable and safe?

How much does a windshield replacement cost (parts and labor)?

Thanks everybody.

Best Regards,
JC

·
Registered
423 Posts
Use your comprehensive insurance, pay your deductible and replace it. That is apretty good size crack to repair.

1 one post for my next star!

·
Registered
39 Posts
RE: Cracked Windshield

Anyway, does anybody know if this is repairable? Is it worth repairing or just replace the windshield?
You can only repair a windshield when it is chipped from a rock no smaller than the size of a quarter. Cracks must be replaced. Some insurance covers windshield replacement while others require you pay your comprehensive deductabile. Check your insurance policy and they will set up the appoitment to have someone come out and check it. They can even replace it at your home or office.

·
Registered
423 Posts
In this part of the country, Texas, Safelite Autoglass says they can repaie a crack up to the length of a dollar bill. These repairs, even for quater size dings, don't make the crack disappear. You will see it in most cases but it will be solid again. If it were me, get it replaces with insurance policy.

·
Registered
95 Posts
12 inches is too long to repair, even your insurance co. will tell you that. Under the length of a dollar bill as 4603pba said, is worth fixing if for no other reason than not breaking the original windshield seal. Most insurance will waive the deductible for windshield repair. I've had it done a coulple of times with no problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on Cracked Windshield

Thanks for all the replies.

After careful deliberation and research, I've decided to have my windshield replaced. I'm having it done by Auto Glass America. They have a pretty good ' No Matter How it Breaks' warranty. Based on some of the threads in this forum regarding chipped or cracked windshields, this will give me a little piece of mind.

I'll pass on my assessment of their work.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Did you check with your insurance to see if they have glass replacement? In Florida, if your windshield breaks they have to replace it and you don't pay the deductible. Just a thought....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Has anyone ever seen how some places replace a windshield?

They wedge this metal pry bar thingie in under the glass and then drag it all the way around the perimeter to detach the glass from the seal holding it to the frame. Now the window frame has been scratched and bare metal will be exposed to moisture and rust starts forming almost before you leave. Of course, the window replacement people don’t care because they slap that trim piece back on and everything stays hidden for the duration of their warranty (which only covers the windshield anyway).

I dread having a windshield replaced on any car I’m going to keep. If it is not in your line of vision, try the repair first.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crispy,

I had the same concerns that's why I considered having it repaired. Unfortunately the crack in my window is too long (and still spreading), that rapairing it may not be feasible. Also, it does not guarantee passing inspection under VA law.

By the way, the warranty covers leaks, chips and breaks for 1 year.

·
Registered
423 Posts
By the way, the warranty covers leaks, chips and breaks for 1 year. [/B][/QUOTE]

My insurance company, Allstate, warrants the work for as long as I own the car and have an Allstate policy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts