Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm wondering what can be used to repair curb rash on black wheels. I found stuff about powder coat and all but my wheels seems to be covered by some sort of plastic
. For reference, the wheels are the stock 20 inch found on Pilot Black Edition 2019. It's kind of semi-gloss

·
Registered
158 Posts
My recommendation is to just cover the tire with playing cards and rattle can them and seal up the exposed metal so corrosion doesn’t set in.

Release the air and set some playing cards in like this:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My recommendation is to just cover the tire with playing cards and rattle can them and seal up the exposed metal so corrosion doesn’t set in.

Release the air and set some playing cards in like this:
It does not answer my question about the "plastic" on the wheels.. It's not really regular paint. Any product that can fix that ?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I'm guessing it's a similar product to the "clear" coating they put on machine aluminum wheels, once you get a knick in it they start to peel. My best suggestion is to see if any local refinishing shops can work on it, the only fix for the clear version was to sand it down until you got to an area not peeling and re-clear them.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don’t know those wheels, but agree that it’s probably a thick coat of powder coat and maybe clear coat that can be recreated by a shop.

Look up Alloy Wheel Repair, or Wheel America or whatever shops you can find in your area. It’s typically about $90-$140 per wheel to repair, but IMO, those look a little more difficult to repair than your average wheel.

I would be interested in learning if there’s really a plastic coating on the wheels. Some close ups of the damage might be helpful in proving or disproving this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don’t know those wheels, but agree that it’s probably a thick coat of powder coat and maybe clear coat that can be recreated by a shop.

Look up Alloy Wheel Repair, or Wheel America or whatever shops you can find in your area. It’s typically about $90-$140 per wheel to repair, but IMO, those look a little more difficult to repair than your average wheel.

I would be interested in learning if there’s really a plastic coating on the wheels. Some close ups of the damage might be helpful in proving or disproving this.
It's kind of thick.. I will post additional pictures later tonight.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's kind of thick.. I will post additional pictures later tonight.
Powder coat often is quite thick. In recent years, I believe that there may have been a switch from oil to water based powder coat, resulting in thicker finishes. I know my local wheel shop has had TONS of issues in recent years with:
  • clearcoat coat cracking and not adhering
  • powdercoat being so thick that center caps no longer fit after refinishing
They’ve been in business apparently longer than any wheel repair shop on the east coast. (At least that’s what I was told by the owner.)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think that’s nothing more than powder coat or a ceramic coating of some sort. Sand and paint is still my recommendation. Or find a wheel shop or mobile wheel repair to fix it for you.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The wheel damage is extensive around the edge of the entire wheel. I would mask off the areas with no damage in a uniform circular pattern, sand the damaged area, rattle can a few coats of gloss black then couple coats of clear. The repair won't be perfect but black finishes can be more forgiving and plenty of dust/dirt will blend it all in.

·
Administrator
15,412 Posts
With that thick a coating, sand so you get smooth edges on all the areas where the coating has come off. Roughen the coating on the rest of the wheel. Fill the holes with filler. Prime and repaint entire wheel.....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Looks like the plastidip/coat stuff. Theres spray cans of it at the parts stores. It's getting popular. Popular for changing color of lettering on vehicles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts