Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proud new owner of a Silver 2003 EX-L Pilot. Mechanically it seems to be running fine but the exterior needs some TLC.

The color matched reflective tape on the rear doors is decayed and stained.

Has anyone successfully removed it and how?

And was the paint underneath damaged, did the underlying paint still match if it was less faded than the surrounding paint. Or did it stand out??

I would prefer to just remove it as I don't carry passengers in the back. Plan B would be to put some new reflective tape to hide it if anyone has found a good replacement ??

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,214 Posts
Proud new owner of a Silver 2003 EX-L Pilot. Mechanically it seems to be running fine but the exterior needs some TLC.

The color matched reflective tape on the rear doors is decayed and stained.
View attachment 133503

Has anyone successfully removed it and how?

And was the paint underneath damaged, did the underlying paint still match if it was less faded than the surrounding paint. Or did it stand out??

I would prefer to just remove it as I don't carry passengers in the back. Plan B would be to put some new reflective tape to hide it if anyone has found a good replacement ??

Thanks
It not reflective. My 05 has had with them since new. Its
protective. I'm sure many have been removed and replaced due to accidents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, So its just clear tape for protection of that area from road debris. Thanks, At least now I know what it is.
Looks like I should be able to remove it with some Goo Gone and a plastic scraper. As I have running boards I don't think its necessary to replace them. Will give it a try tomorrow and post a pic of the results. Thanks Again.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Always wondered what that stupid thing was !..good job

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Heat gun might work at low setting. I was also successful in removing subborn vinyl stickers using a blanket made of a paper towel soaked in methanol, aluminum foil and scotch tape. Keep it on for 30 min and peel off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips. In the end I did it the hard way with the tools I had to hand, took about 30 minutes:

You can just about see where it originally was but for 17 year old Paint I'm not going to complain. I might buff the clear coat later and see if I can blur the line a bit more.

For those as DIY challenged as I here's what I did:

The Pro strength Goof off and the plastic scraped didn't work very well.
Switched to plan B with some Lacquer Thinner on a cloth and a small nylon brush working my way down. The Thinner ate through my gloves so I ended up holding the cloth in a Zip lock bag which was much better.
Took some patience about 30 minutes, but it all came off clean in the end. Took a few wipes with a fresh cloth and some more Thinner to remove the sticky bits left behind.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Nice job. 💪 Add a little elbow grease to your list of DIY tools.

I've never seen those on a 2006-2008, or didn't I look hard enough? How useful could they have been? Perhaps they were phased out in the 1st gen refresh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts