Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The striker plate on the liftgate is loose. Looks like the only way I can tighten it is to remove the inner panel. Anybody know how to do this? I tried to remove the handle on the inside but the two Phillips screws are way tight. Maybe they were put in with an air wrench? Anybody done this job? All tips are appreciated. It's a 2005 Pilot.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,043 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Trim in a Honda is simple once you see how they designed it. Avoid doing this on a cold day when the plastic parts are more brittle and prone to breaking.

Identify the top piece of plastic trim. My service manual says that's the top one. Gently pry underneath and work around the part. It will be held on by tabs on the back of the part and plastic clips. The two side pieces are next, then the inner handle that is screwed on. The cargo area light probably has to come out, too. Taking pictures piece by piece will make it easier to re-assemble.

The big lower panel is held on by more clips. Start in a corner and gently begin to lift. It will resist, then pop. Go around the perimeter. Count the number of pops, then inventory the number of clips you have afterwards. If you break one or two, it won't make a difference.

Once you have access behind the panel, you can do what you need to do. Re-assembly is the reverse - just make sure all your clips and tabs are aligned properly, and it will go back together like Legos. I was amazed that these things stay together as well as they do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much. We fixed it last night. The screws holding the upper latch had worked themselves loose and one fell out but was still under the panel. Next time I would use Locktight but didn't have any on hand. Rough roads up here in Alaska were no doubt the cause. Its a great car for up here though.

Phil Swanson

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,043 Posts
Glad to hear you got it fixed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Glad you got it done. My 16 yo son and I went to Pull-a-Part today and I set him to the task of getting the Honda emblem off the rear hatch of a 2004 while I fought the power door lock actuator. He had the trim off before I had it off the door. He said that he can install it on my Pilot by hims

1 - 6 of 6 Posts