Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, Bought a 2017 Pilot. Dealer used a vinyl sticker for their Dealership name on the back tail gate. If you try and pick at the edge of the letters, you can not get them to budge. Some serious glue.

Looking for thoughts to remove the dealership name. The vinyl letters have been on the vehicle for about a month. The vinyl is very thin, a silver color, almost like silver metal that is .005" thick.

Thanks Jim

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Dealers should not be allowed to vandalize your vehicle like that with their spam.

·
Registered
882 Posts
The hairdryer is the easiest method and you aren't putting in enough heat to damage the paint. If it doesn't work, you may find that a bit of WD40 will dissolve the glue and make it come off easier. If there is plastic below where the sticker is, make sure you protect it from spills. In the past I've even used acetone (nail polish remover). Work carefully with this stuff if you do use it

When my dealership asks if they can put a sticker on, I tell them that would be an additional advertising fee of 250.00 per year for the expected life of the vehicle, say 10 yrs, payable up front. Funny they never take me up on it. I only get a license plate frame. On the outside chance they put one on, I ask that it be removed before delivery.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
OK Guys, I am in S Texas, today the weather was 80 degrees. Parked car so tailgate was in afternoon sun. Everything got hot. The dealer name is individual letters and looks like metal foil letters. This is not the normal vinyl sticker like most dealers use. I have removed them before so got a good handle on those.

Will try some goo-gone to see if it will leach behind the letters.

I may call the dealership and see if they will get me the name off the box they buy them from and see if they can tell me how to remove them.

Thanks Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
That stinks. I just bought my 2017 Pilot yesterday and immediately peeled the dealer name off. It drives me crazy when they do that. Thankfully they were just vinyl and super easy to peel off. Now I just need to find a new license plate frame! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would hesitate to use goo-gone or WD-40 on my vehicle to remove stickers like that.

I have successfully used a claybar & detail spray to remove dealer-installed lettering in the past. It takes a while but eventually the clay will pick off the stickers - or at least get them raised up so you can peel them off. It takes a bit to get the tackiness just right but it does work - eventually and you won't be scratching the paint or possibly have a solvent do something unexpected to your paint or plastic trim.

I still think that you're well within your rights to go back to the dealer and have them remove it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Why not ask the dealer to remove it? They put it on there without your permission.
I agree. I have never understood why folks allow a dealer to deface their brand new vehicle. I have bought many new cars and trucks over the last 50 years and have always told the dealer up front that there is to be no dealer advertising on my car or I don't sign the papers. Never been a problem with them agreeing to that. But they love it when folks don't complain and they get free advertising.

·
Registered
26 Posts
For every car I have ever owned, I offer the dealer the opportunity to advertise their dealership on the trunk with one of their stickers at an annual cost of $250, with five years payable in advance.
Thus far, none have accepted the deal and I have always brought home a new car with no dealer name on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
To remove the foil letters you need a razor blade and gently pry a section of the letter. It will pop and you can pull off. Heating this type of material actually will make it bond more as your heating the adhesive.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just pulled off a two week old Hard Plastic silver dealer emblem. It left half of the black adhesive behind. After scraping the thicker spots with a plastic knife, I removed the rest with Mequires "cleaner/wax" with about 30 seconds of rubbing. Cannot tell it was there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts