Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the selling dealer logo/phone # that is painted on our Pilot? Our Pilot was a cancelled order that was refused by the original purchaser so the logo/ad was unfortunately already on the vehicle when I purchased ....The "free ad" is above the PILOT emblem on the rear door......Any suggestions to remove this would be greatly appreciated...We have a redrock exterior and the dealer logo/phone # is in light grey....Thanks.....----waxpilot on Long Island

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
If it is the sticker type, which I believe it is ... take a blow dryer at medium heat and heat the sticker to make it pliable ... Then take a razor blade angled as not to scratch the surface of the paint. Keep the hair dryer going and work the blade in to lift up the edges of the sticker, then pull the edges. Continue this, peel and pull, don't worry about the sticky residue left, just get the sticker off. Once the sticker is off take some Goo Gone, WD-40, or Gasoline and wipe the sticky residue right off with a rag. After all is clear wax the area to restore the shine. The sooner you do this the better, the longer the sticker is adhered to the paint the harder it will be to remove. Just be slow, methodical, and patient ... and constantly worry about not scratching the paint with the blade.

PrG

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
If it is actually painted on, which would be odd ... you could ask the dealer to remove it for you ... but either way, it sounds like it may be body shop work ... if it is indeed painted on ...

PrG

·
Registered
919 Posts
Another tried and true method is to floss it off. Get some dental floss and start working it under the plate from one edge, moving the floss back and forth. Cleanup with goo gone, etc. as PrG suggested.

Chris

·
Registered
797 Posts
xyzzy said:
Another tried and true method is to floss it off. Get some dental floss and start working it under the plate from one edge, moving the floss back and forth. Cleanup with goo gone, etc. as PrG suggested.

Chris
This is what makes this board sooooo great! :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Razor blade?

Not to second guess PrG- I would be apprehensive about using a razor blade, can easily scratch the paint. Assuming it's a sticker, which most are, just use God's sticker scraper- your fingernail. Works great- do it all the time. The heat helps, too as does soapy water to help avoid scratches.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Two excellent ideas

I'll back both people here. I hate using a razor blade but IF the logo is a sticker, which they usually are a blade may be your only way other than having the dealership do it.

IF it is an actual plate use the floss method. I just pulled my PILOT tag off the back with that method and used Tar and Bug remover to get the rest of the sticky off.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Go Goo Gone

Just did the same to my brother's Audi. Dab Goo Gone on unwanted sticker, work in with fingertip (anything else might scratch) for a minute or two and gently start to remove with finger nail. Keep area moist with Goo Gone and use that thingamajig that's all the rage from Zaino (similarly available at any Auto Store)--you know the eraser/playdo thing, to remove any residue.

May take several attempts, but last time I checked, the dealers are not nearly nice enough for you to become a billboard for them.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Removing Dealer Nameplate:

For those of you who haven't yet received your Pilot - Request through your salesman that they not install any dealer nameplate or decals - my salesman was kind enough to honor the request - I told him he would get plenty of positive verbal recommendations, but my Pilot would not serve as rolling advertisement.

Bake in Wisconsin

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dealer Badging

In Maryland, the law states that the dealer must get your approval before attaching any dealer badging, including license plate frames.

At my dealer, the consent was hidden in the fine print of the order form. I crossed it out and told the salesman that I would just throw out the frame, so he should just keep it.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Our dealer plate came in handy to hold the flimsy cardboard temp tag in place until our real plate came in. When the temp tag came off, so did the dealer plate. As a matter of fact, I think that's how I've done it on most of my vehicles.

Chris

·
Registered
266 Posts
I can live with a license plate frame but nothing on the paint.

Our dealer has a small automatic car wash and you can get a free wash anytime you want as long as it has their dealer license plate frame. The dealer is far enough away that I will probably never take advantage but I thought it was an interesting way to compensate people for displaying the dealer's name.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I pulled that dealer attachment off my pilot 30 minutes after I got home (iit was attached with double sided adhesive). Those things end up looking horrible after 4-5 years of wear and tear. When I picked up my plates several days later the sales guy noticed it was missing but didn't say anything. He probably thought they forgot to put it on!

redpilot_nav

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have been wondering for a long long time about those dealer names on the back of the car.

In California, I have never seen a dealership name on the back of people's car. However, whenever I see a outer state license plate car, there is always a dealership name on the back of their cars.....

what is the deal with that?:confused:

If I bought a car, the car belongs to me. I should have a say if I want to advertise for the dealership. I would be pissed if they did that to my car........:mad: I want my car to be clean and free of unnecessary stickers.......unless I am a ricer. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Those dealer name things on the paint are a pet peeve of mine.

When I picked up my old Civic a couple of eons ago, they had one of those tacky dealer things planted right on the paint of my vehicle. I was in a particularly fiesty mood and told my salesman that I didn't want it on there. I smiled and was nice about it. He said that is the way they do it and there wasnt anything he could do to get it off there. Yeah, right. NEVER tell a woman with PMS something like that.

I can tell you from first-hand experience that it only takes the service department about 15 minutes to get that off your vehicle and they can do it while you wait.

And let them do it. If there is any damage they can fix it.

·
Registered
919 Posts
copperpoppy said:
And let them do it. If there is any damage they can fix it.
I can certainly understand that approach, but I actually look at it from the standpoint that I don't want to give them the opportunity to damage my vehicle. Even if they are responsible for the damage, sometimes the cure can be worse than the disease. This is particularly true of problems with paint.

Chris

·
Registered
698 Posts
xyzzy said:
I can certainly understand that approach, but I actually look at it from the standpoint that I don't want to give them the opportunity to damage my vehicle.
Oh I couldn't agree more.

But, if they pull that, "Whoops, sorry, we forgot and planted it on your vehicle. Better luck next time" routine, you can always insist they get it off there - quick, fast and in a hurry.

Those things just look sooooooooooo tacky. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
The dealer name was right under the chrome PILOT logo in black vinyl 1/2" lettering. It had been irritating me since we got the vehicle but I was too chicken to try anything. Finally, last night, I just took my fingernail and picked at one of the letters and what do ya know, it just pulled right off! Having discovered this, it didn't take me long to peel off the rest of the lettering. There was a significant amount of adhesive residue left behind...a little Goo Gone on a terry applicator took care of all that very quickly and easily. No damage, discoloring, fading of the paint at all apparent. Followed up with an application of Meguiar's Cleaner Wax on the entire general area, it looks 1000% better, I should have done it weeks ago, my wife thinks I am a major geek.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts