Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 Pilot Touring have a problem in the cargo area where soup leaked onto the cargo cover and into the underfloor storage carpet. A friend gave us a large Tupperware bowl of homemade soup in a plastic grocery bag and we placed it on the cargo cover in the rear of the Pilot and drove home. We didn't realize it but the soup was leaking almost the whole time we were driving about a half hour. It leaked through the bag and onto the cargo cover and down into the storage floor soaking the carpet. We have taken the back of the car apart (again - dead mouse a few months ago) but cannot get the carpet out of the car to clean it. The only thing holding it are two retaining clips, one on each side. Turning the middle of the clip does not release them. Anyone know how to do it? Appreciate any help anyone can offer.
IMG_5159.JPG
IMG_5160.JPG
IMG_5161.JPG
IMG_5162.JPG

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Surprised no one has come across these clips. I tried a panel tool around the clip but doesn't seem to push anything in. Tried turning the screw while the panel tool is on it but can't get it to let go.

·
Registered
149 Posts
This is not a job for "fat fingers." The white clip will lift off. The black tube-looking clip you see inside the white clip is secured to the body and will remain in place after you lift off the white part. There are two small (very hard to see) tabs on the sides of the black tube. You need to depress those two tabs toward the center of the black tube with a small screw driver while gently ... very gently, prying up on the white clip from underneath it. If the tabs on the black tube are depressed in correctly, the white clip lifts off very easily. I had to do one side at a time. Be gentle . You only need to depress the black tabs a small amount to remove the white tab. I used my wife's sewing machine screw driver to depress the tabs as it is tiny enough to fit in the narrow opening. In the photo I am actually holding the white clip upside down. To reinstall it, just place it over the black tub clip and push down. It will snap back in place.
IMG_1776.JPG IMG_1774.JPG

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANK YOU!!!! That is extremely helpful. I sent this to my son at home. My son reports the directions worked perfectly. He got the carpet out at last. Only been trying since Sunday!! Thanks again for the help and for rooting for us!

·
Registered
149 Posts
No problem, glad to help. Honda's fit and finish inside there vehicles is darn good, but NOT easy to disassemble.

Hope you never have to remove the upper pillar trim, like between the front and rear doors. Need to hit it with a rubber mallet to release the special metal clips inside ... no joke! Even Honda's own service bulletins show that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
THANK YOU!!!! That is extremely helpful. I sent this to my son at home. My son reports the directions worked perfectly. He got the carpet out at last. Only been trying since Sunday!! Thanks again for the help and for rooting for us!
How did you access the right side one. I cant figure out how to remove the black tray to access the white clip

1 - 8 of 8 Posts