Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just writing this for reference if anyone needs it as I couldn't find a helpful guide or tutorial whatsoever online.

I finally grew old of the ugly ass air dam on the front of my 2017 Pilot, and I finally was able to take it off today. The process included removing 7 standard Honda clips from beneath the air dam, as well as unscrewing 4 metal bolts holding it in place. After I had removed all the clips and bolts, I really only had to carefully and slowly pull it directly out toward me, and dislodge the built-in tabs on the air dam from their housings on the bottom black plastic piece on the bottom of the bumper (sorry if that doesn't make too much sense, but if you attempt this, I'm sure you'll see what I mean). Once it is fully removed/pulled out, the only thing that you see beneath the bottom black plastic piece on the bumper is just a thin plastic line of where the tabs from the air dam insert into (which is basically not noticeable at all). I reinstalled the metal bolts into their correct housings after I was done, as they hold more under the bumper than just the air dam, but left the 7 little black clips off as they are not as necessary, and put them in a plastic bag in the trunk for safekeeping.

I am so happy I finally have gotten this removed as I have not only always hated the look of it, but also recently have done some light off-roading and because it was so close to the ground and acted as such a hinderance to ground clearance, it got ripped and dirtied up pretty bad and was looking even worse than usual. I know there must be some halfway decent reason why Honda decided to put this on in the first place, but if it was simply for some VERY VERY slightly improved aerodynamics and fuel efficiency reasons, then I will not mind making the compromise at all and will remain happy with my decision. Although this is the case, please keep in mind I haven't had really any time to drive the car after having removed it today, and it remains to be seen if anything has been changed or worsened by me removing it. I will try my best to keep interested people posted, and please reply and let me know if you have any questions.

Alex

(I am referring to part 21 in the attached diagram.)

Edit: Drove the car all day today and didn’t notice a single issue. Would definitely recommend doing this.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Pictures!

Reactions: Rocky

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Nice!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts