Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone install a aftermarket or a Honda remote starter? Thinking about putting one in. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Did anyone install a aftermarket or a Honda remote starter? Thinking about putting one in. Any recommendations?
I have the Compustar 2-way from Best Buy. Goes on sale for $250 including installation. Works fine for me on my 15 Pilot. My G/F has it on her 17 Camry. She loves it

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have the Honda OEM on my 2011 EX-L and a Compustar with Blade module on my Subaru Impreza. The Compustar is vastly superior in almost every way... mind-blowing range, secure hand-off so you don't have to shut the car down, customization of behavior during flashing of the unit and secure hand-off so you don't have to shut the car down (it's that important to me). The only positive to the Honda unit is that it also integrates into the HVAC so it'll cool or heat the interior based on the temperature.

The Compustar functionality heavily differs between models of cars so make sure you do your research on what it supports before jumping in.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the Honda OEM on my 2011 EX-L and a Compustar with Blade module on my Subaru Impreza. The Compustar is vastly superior in almost every way... mind-blowing range, secure hand-off so you don't have to shut the car down, customization of behavior during flashing of the unit and secure hand-off so you don't have to shut the car down (it's that important to me). The only positive to the Honda unit is that it also integrates into the HVAC so it'll cool or heat the interior based on the temperature.

The Compustar functionality heavily differs between models of cars so make sure you do your research on what it supports before jumping in.
Did you install the Honda remote starter and if so did you have to program or flash the remote. I see that I can order it on Hondaparts for $285 the compustar looks like a lot of splicing and tapping into wires. Plus flashing the module. Which is more area to screw up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Did you install the Honda remote starter and if so did you have to program or flash the remote. I see that I can order it on Hondaparts for $285 the compustar looks like a lot of splicing and tapping into wires. Plus flashing the module. Which is more area to screw up.
Actually yes I did. I scored a used unit on ebay for $50 (this was ages ago and I got lucky) when a new unit was $500 back then. Unfortunately, a dealer has to program the unit to the vehicle on 2nd gen v1. You should be able to find the honda install instructions for your 2nd gen v2 to see if that's still the case. Since this is integrated into the immobilizer system, the dealer has to program the car to accept the remote start as a valid security device much like a key. A dealer charged me about $100 for something that takes them 5 minutes but I still ended up way ahead overall considering what I bought the used unit for.

I'd like to state for the record that this was the first of only two times a dealer has seen my car in my over 10 years of ownership since new. The second being the airbag recall. All other maintenance was performed by a couple of mechanics that I trust... Mr. Lefty and Mr. Righty. They know how to do a job right!

Edit: Let me add that the splicing is why I went with the Blade module on the Subaru. It cuts down on the splicing very significantly as the Blade integrates itself directly into the CANBUS and hacks the immobilizer so that it's fully integrated into the security system. More info here.

Edit 2: Just wanted to make sure you knew that there are two components to the OEM remote start - the unit and fob is one part number and the wiring harness is a second part number. Bernardi has a disclaimer on up to 2013 models that it needs to be dealer programmed but that text is missing from 2014+. You should do a bit more research to confirm whether or not you need the programming done.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually yes I did. I scored a used unit on ebay for $50 (this was ages ago and I got lucky) when a new unit was $500 back then. Unfortunately, a dealer has to program the unit to the vehicle on 2nd gen v1. You should be able to find the honda install instructions for your 2nd gen v2 to see if that's still the case. Since this is integrated into the immobilizer system, the dealer has to program the car to accept the remote start as a valid security device much like a key. A dealer charged me about $100 for something that takes them 5 minutes but I still ended up way ahead overall considering what I bought the used unit for.

I'd like to state for the record that this was the first of only two times a dealer has seen my car in my over 10 years of ownership since new. The second being the airbag recall. All other maintenance was performed by a couple of mechanics that I trust... Mr. Lefty and Mr. Righty. They know how to do a job right!

Edit: Let me add that the splicing is why I went with the Blade module on the Subaru. It cuts down on the splicing very significantly as the Blade integrates itself directly into the CANBUS and hacks the immobilizer so that it's fully integrated into the security system. More info here.

Edit 2: Just wanted to make sure you knew that there are two components to the OEM remote start - the unit and fob is one part number and the wiring harness is a second part number. Bernardi has a disclaimer on up to 2013 models that it needs to be dealer programmed but that text is missing from 2014+. You should do a bit more research to confirm whether or not you need the programming done.
Good to know thanks.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,062 Posts
Did you do a search, and read my recent thread on this? If not, no biggie.

Mine uses the OEM key Fob. It was $179 shipped?

Here's the thread:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you do a search, and read my recent thread on this? If not, no biggie.

Mine uses the OEM key Fob. It was $179 shipped?

Here's the thread:

thanks good post read. And videos Definitely helped.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts