Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to Ottawa to watch the Rememberance Day ceremonies. My 15 year old's school was visited last year by one of the Vets from the WWII and he was touched by the fact that there are fewer of them left each year.
So this year he wanted to go and see the "Official" Ceremony at our nation's capital.
So off we go, another Pilot trip.

Here is a link to War Museums info on Rememberance Day.

A salute to our Veterans and all the Veterans to our South.:claphead:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

We must remember. If we do not, the sacrifice of those one hundred thousand Canadian lives will be meaningless. They died for us, for their homes and families and friends, for a collection of traditions they cherished and a future they believed in; they died for Canada. The meaning of their sacrifice rests with our collective national consciousness; our future is their monument.
~Heather Robertson, A Terrible Beauty, The Art of Canada at War, Toronto, Lorimer, 1977

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
rocky said:
To my Dad who died in 1998.
WW2 veteran of the British Navy.
With love
To my Dad who died in 2001.
WW2 veteran of the US Navy.
With love

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
At the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 World War I, the "war to end all wars" ended. Sadly it was not our last war.

A flag with three stars hung in my grandmother's window during WWII. Her children have since passed on, with love and admiration I salute them:

Dad, US Navy
My Uncle, US Army
My Aunt, US Coast Guard

To all veterans I say a simple "thank you for your service"

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Hey SundayRider. Thought you and a few in here might find these interesting. These are actual diaries of the soldiers of WWI, courtesy of Library and Archives of Canada.
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02015202_e.html

The Library of Congress probably has something like this as well.

Some samples:

Vimy Ridge (April 9th, 1917)
http://data4.collectionscanada.ca/netacgi/nph-brs?s1=38th&s13=&s12=&l=20&s9=RG9&s7=9-52&Sect1=IMAGE&Sect2=THESOFF&Sect4=AND&Sect5=WARDPEN&Sect6=HITOFF&d=FIND&p=1&u=http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02015202_e.html&r=1&f=G
"The whole Empire will rejoice at the news of yesterday's successful operations. Canada will be proud that the taking of the coveted Vimy Ridge has fallen to the lot of her troops. I heartily congratulate you and all who have taken part in this splendid achievement."
His Majesty the King

Read April(9-15) for the vimy Ridge action.
MacDowell of the 38th was awarded a Victoria Cross for his actions at Vimy.

Passchendaele (Oct 26 - Nov 10th, 1917)
http://data4.collectionscanada.ca/netacgi/nph-brs?s1=43rd+Battalion&s13=&s12=&l=20&s9=RG9&s7=9-52&Sect1=IMAGE&Sect2=THESOFF&Sect4=AND&Sect5=WARDPEN&Sect6=HITOFF&d=FIND&p=1&u=http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02015202_e.html&r=1&f=G
"It was really a miserable day, quite miserable. We were lying practically on the bed of the river which had been shelled all to pieces and it was just a marshy bog ... our company headquarters got blown to pieces ... before we started off ... and the battle hadn't even begun."
Alex Strachan, 43rd Battalion

Cambrai (Sept 27 - Oct 11, 1918)
http://data4.collectionscanada.ca/netacgi/nph-brs?s1=6th+Canadian+Infantry+Brigade&s13=&s12=&l=20&s9=RG9&s7=9-52&Sect1=IMAGE&Sect2=THESOFF&Sect4=AND&Sect5=WARDPEN&Sect6=HITOFF&d=FIND&p=1&u=http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02015202_e.html&r=19&f=G
"When the attack was launched, the Brigade was already tired after holding the line for several days ... harassed by enemy fire, gas, and aeroplane bombing. Notwithstanding these difficulties, the spirit of all ranks ensured success ... But for this spirit, the success which ultimately attended our efforts would have been impossible."
Major J.A.G. White, M.-G. A/Brigade-Major

Take a look at the General Staff Entries vs. Trench Entires

Another Great Site:
Where we fought...
A great outline of the Canadian Expeditionary Forces actions during the war.

Every single one of these men, I'll never come close to being even half the man they were. Anyway, enjoy! :)

·
Registered
899 Posts
To my dad

Veteran of the RCAF - WWII

He's 89 and doing fine - just bought a new car and drove it from Cape Cod to Charlottesville VA for his grandson's wedding then to visit his family in Vineland Ontario and back to the Cape.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Armistice / Veteran's Day

Here in the US it was originally celebrated as Armistice Day, then changed to Veteran's Day when Memorial Day was added (I think, but I don't know when).

My Dad was in the 106th ID; captured in the Battle of the Bulge; arrived at the prison camp on Christmas Day, 1944; liberated in March of 1945 by one of Patton's armored battalions. He went from 185 lbs. to 120 lbs. in three months, then spent another month in a hospital in France. He got the Bronze Star and a Purple Heart.

When he died two years ago, I was going through his things and I found a telegram from the Army to his mother informing her he was MIA, and another when he was "under control of Allied Forces". Each telegram was a single sentence. I can't even imagine her emotion when she received each of them. He had these things (among others) all his life, and none of us ever saw them. Incredible.

When I'd ask him about any of his experiences, he wasn't short with me but he'd only give short, terse answers. Sensing he really didn't care to talk about it, I never pressed the issue, but now that he's gone, I wish I had.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Re: Armistice / Veteran's Day

krygny said:
Here in the US it was originally celebrated as Armistice Day, then changed to Veteran's Day when Memorial Day was added (I think, but I don't know when).

My Dad was in the 106th ID; captured in the Battle of the Bulge; arrived at the prison camp on Christmas Day, 1944; liberated in March of 1945 by one of Patton's armored battalions. He went from 185 lbs. to 120 lbs. in three months, then spent another month in a hospital in France. He got the Bronze Star and a Purple Heart.

When he died two years ago, I was going through his things and I found a telegram from the Army to his mother informing her he was MIA, and another when he was "under control of Allied Forces". Each telegram was a single sentence. I can't even imagine her emotion when she received each of them. He had these things (among others) all his life, and none of us ever saw them. Incredible.

When I'd ask him about any of his experiences, he wasn't short with me but he'd only give short, terse answers. Sensing he really didn't care to talk about it, I never pressed the issue, but now that he's gone, I wish I had.
Whole different life then, my Dad was a Sgt Major under Gen Patton in Germany, was shot in the head, spent 3 days in the morgue and then walked out.. much to everyones surprise, must have knocked him out but didnt kill him, left a nice scare though and the bullet obviously grazed off. He was awarded the Bronze Star and Purple Heart as well. When I was younger I asked him what War was like , he told me that it was long periods of bordom interwoven with moments of shear terror.. I can only imagine, when we died and we found his medals in a trunk.. also along with a memo for his Bronze Star, I remembered him telling me that the only true heros were the ones that didnt come home.. like I said just a whole different life back then. I have my first son named in his honor.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Re: Re: Armistice / Veteran's Day

CMasten said:

Whole different life then, my Dad was a Sgt Major under Gen Patton in Germany, was shot in the head, spent 3 days in the morgue and then walked out.. much to everyones surprise, must have knocked him out but didnt kill him, left a nice scare though and the bullet obviously grazed off. He was awarded the Bronze Star and Purple Heart as well. When I was younger I asked him what War was like , he told me that it was long periods of bordom interwoven with moments of shear terror.. I can only imagine, when we died and we found his medals in a trunk.. also along with a memo for his Bronze Star, I remembered him telling me that the only true heros were the ones that didnt come home.. like I said just a whole different life back then. I have my first son named in his honor.
Here is one for you... I not only have one set of medals from my father with a Purple Heart and Bronze Star...

The top part is my Grandfather on my Dads side and WWI medals.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Armistice / Veteran's Day

CMasten said:

Here is one for you... I not only have one set of medals from my father with a Purple Heart and Bronze Star...
But Two... as my wifes Dad was every bit the hero but would NEVER discuss it with anyone except those he served with..

Attachments

·
Registered
899 Posts
Mainer said:
To my dad

Veteran of the RCAF - WWII

He's 89 and doing fine - just bought a new car and drove it from Cape Cod to Charlottesville VA for his grandson's wedding then to visit his family in Vineland Ontario and back to the Cape.
On the phone with him last night - he and his wife have booked a 5 week cruise next July. Leaves Boston goes to Newfoundland/labador, Iceland, Greenland, Norway, Ireland, England, Brest/Paris, and back to Boston.

It's truly the greatest generation.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mainer, Cmasten, and krygny, those are great stories and legacies.

My son and I lined up to watch the proceedings for Remembrance Day. It was a cold sunny day, but to see the Vetrans march (some in wheel chairs) was an amazing sight. Everyone was clapping and signs everywhere saying Thank You. Many came over to the barracades to shake hands with us.

It was funny how the politicians spoke, but all eyes and thoughts were on the Veterans, and those lost in the wars.

It was great to see the numbers of young people in the crowd, and no one left until all the Veterans marched by.

It was a great experience, one my son will not forget.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
THere was a young lady giving out flowers to some of the Veterans. They came up and talked to many of us.

Attachments

·
Registered
745 Posts
Thanks for sharing, Sunday Rider, nice photos!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
robrecht said:
To my Dad who died in 2001.
WW2 veteran of the US Navy.
With love
To my Grand Dad who died in 2001.
WW2 veteran of the African British Army.
With love

1 - 18 of 18 Posts