Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We need a pair of new remote keys for our 2007 Pilot. The plastic on the original two remote keys are failing in different ways after all of these years. I see that you can get new keys online, but I have never done this for programmable keys, so I wanted to start the process by buying from somewhere reliable (that won't charge what the dealers will, of course). So, looking for recommendations on where the best places to order from are. I see lots of references to eBay, so if that is the suggestion, a particular seller would be great.

Any other advice on the process is welcomed. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the links. I like the idea of the flip key (or anything that works, really). If I buy a new remote and/or flip housing, is is possible to transfer the physical key part of my existing key, or is getting the new key cut the only way to go?

Not really understanding the parts about taking parts out of the old remote and putting them into a new one. Is there a video and/or diagram for this?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Yes, you're going to have to get the new key cut. Call ahead to make sure the locksmith cuts Honda automotive keys. No need to go to the stealership.

Transferring the remote fob electronics is simple and self-evident, but don't forget as well to carefully dig out the little immobilizer chip and transfer it to the little space for it in the new key. I eventually helped it stay firmly in place by using a little of that usually blue sticky tack used for putting posters on walls, or get the locksmith to do it while he's in there anyway.

Here's the flip key I went with:

2 +1 3 Buttons Remodel Remote Flip Folding Key Shell Cover For Honda Civic Pilot | eBay

More reading: https://www.piloteers.org/forums/69-2003-2008-pilot/110321-key-fobs-not-working-2.html?highlight=flip+key#post1453793

And here are the broken English instructions from the flip key seller:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts