Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading almost every post for a month or two. I understand people usually only come here when they have problems and seeking for solutions. However, it scares me a bit that some have multiple issues on the very same vehicle. This indicates problems with overall reliability, not just a single part with design issues.

Almost everyone sees "Honda" = "reliability". Is it safe to say "Honda Pilot" = "reliability". Or, is the Pilot an abnormality from Honda lineup?

·
Registered
107 Posts
All manufactures have their problems and if you go to any car forum people will complain. I bought my Pilot in June with 500 miles on it. It was a left over that sat on the lot for a year. It now has roughly 7,500 miles and hasn’t given my wife any problems at all. I will say the build quality is not as good as the 2014 Civic that I traded it in for or my current 2013 CRV that I inherited from my wife. It’s a great vehicle though and I do recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 17 Elite and my close friends have Pilots as well. All 9-speed transmissions: 1 16 Elite, 1 16 Touring, 1 17 Elite, 2 17 Tourings, all trouble-free. We love our Pilot and plan to hang on to it for a while.

·
Banned
157 Posts
People who don’t understand automobiles will make unfounded claims and draw irrational conclusions in a misguidedly ignorant way of trying to explain the problems they perceive to be real to themselves. Most people are uneducated morons who stumble from one self-inflicted disaster to another, too lazy to get engaged in their own lives. You cannot reason with them, so just ignore them and their toxic behaviour.
The remaining 25% of the general public consist of moderately to extremely intelligent and capable individuals who invest the time to solve problems instead of blaming others. These people know the difference between waiting for a miracle or acting responsibly, and take steps toward solutions to minimize the amount of time needed to resolve problems. They know that time is a precious and non-renewable resource, so they use it wisely.
There are no “bad” Pilots, but they are manufactured by humans who are imperfect, so mistakes that result in problems experienced by owners occur. There are only two types of owners: people with bad attitudes and people with good attitudes, and these take a radically different approach to solving problems with their vehicles. Most will go about this pursuit in a destructive and unproductive manner. The minority will set out to understand and intelligently and efficiently reach solutions.
After all is said and done, the morons vastly outnumber the intelligent. This has the effect of casting an unfair representation on the product. Life is unfair, just deal with it and ignore the idiots. That’s the best you can do.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. That's good to know. We have a Honda old enough to attend middle school. Never had major mechanical issues. But, it was an old school vehicle, nothing fancy except a CD player. The new Pilot is like a computer on wheels. It carries more electronics than a Radio Shack. I'm glad to hear we have many happy owners here =)

·
Registered
60 Posts
People who don’t understand automobiles will make unfounded claims and draw irrational conclusions in a misguidedly ignorant way of trying to explain the problems they perceive to be real to themselves. Most people are uneducated morons who stumble from one self-inflicted disaster to another, too lazy to get engaged in their own lives. You cannot reason with them, so just ignore them and their toxic behaviour.
The remaining 25% of the general public consist of moderately to extremely intelligent and capable individuals who invest the time to solve problems instead of blaming others. These people know the difference between waiting for a miracle or acting responsibly, and take steps toward solutions to minimize the amount of time needed to resolve problems. They know that time is a precious and non-renewable resource, so they use it wisely.
There are no “bad” Pilots, but they are manufactured by humans who are imperfect, so mistakes that result in problems experienced by owners occur. There are only two types of owners: people with bad attitudes and people with good attitudes, and these take a radically different approach to solving problems with their vehicles. Most will go about this pursuit in a destructive and unproductive manner. The minority will set out to understand and intelligently and efficiently reach solutions.
After all is said and done, the morons vastly outnumber the intelligent. This has the effect of casting an unfair representation on the product. Life is unfair, just deal with it and ignore the idiots. That’s the best you can do.

Sleep, what a GREAT post. Very well written. I might add that the more you KNOW (not "think you know") about modern day automobiles, the better off you are in dealing with car issues and service departments. I had a an eighth grade "industrial arts" teacher that would drill into his classes "When you get out in that work-a-day world, next to your house, your car is going to be the biggest expense of your life (excluding children). You better learn how to service it, and if you don't AT LEAST learn how it works !!!!" For me, no truer words have been spoken.

In my opinion (for what it's worth), a manufacturer doesn't "make" the brand.... The DEALER makes the brand. If you go to a less than reputable dealer/service department that perhaps upsells/oversells, does or suggests repairs or services that really aren't necessary but are money makers, you may rightly so get or have the feeling that "Gee, this car sure does cost a lot to keep on the road". "My (insert your brand here) really isn't that reliable. "

Am I an automotive expert? By no means. But I feel I do have a very good command of most of the systems within an automobile, and I CERTAINLY know (in most cases) when I'm getting bamboozled.

And yes, I do realize that with most dealerships, we hammer out the best deal we can get on a new vehicle, thus restricting their margin on a new car sale, leaving the dealership's parts and service departments to be the profit center for the organization.

I have never been a service writer, or worked for a dealership, but I have to think that from a consumer perspective, I would be a decent service writer. However, at the same time, I have a feeling that from a dealership perspective I would be a lousy one. Should this hypothetical situation ever happen, I would whatever income we would lose in the short term, would be made up and even increased as word spread as we gained a reputation for pure honesty, customer satisfaction and customer service. Could/will it happen ?

Without going into specific examples, I have been the subject of a few of these "less than scrupulous" service writers and (called them on it). Further, I have personally witnessed MANY more.

My point is, reliability can be determined a few ways. Some would base reliability strictly on defects, recalls etc. Some, (like me) on personal experience or conversations with others that have a fair knowledge of automobiles. The bulk in my opinion, go by "owner reported" repair records and/or consumer publications. Which, as I mentioned above are mostly based on "what the service writers sell them".

I am not suggesting ALL service departments are crooks.... I've been to ones on "both sides of the aisle". Unfortunately, in MY experience, the numbers of not-so-good outweigh the good.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Everything above and to add to it; just like you said most people come to forums with issues. That said, there has been almost 2 million Pilots sold since their inception, and this forum has about 6% of that number in term of members. Realistically speaking, in the auto industry, 1%-5% of car sales are lemons. It's entirely plausible, statistically speaking, that some members may have had lemons and thus resulting in you seeing multiple issues on the same vehicle. Correlation does not equal causation.

Honda's are through and though one of the most reliable and reputable brands out there, but every single vehicle, no matter the manufacturer, is prone to human error during manufacturing or even engineering. Coupled with a concentration of users with issues it's easy to think that there are more issues than there actually is.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Second what is said above by a few of the posters, and also, of the 114,000 members on this forum, if you pay attention, a lot of the repeated problems discussed on many of the threads are the same people complaining over and over again about the same thing in multiple places. I don't see 114k people complaining here.

So couple that with the thought that most people who post on forums tend to complain vs to praise, and that those with complaints will post and repost in an effort to be heard, and the perceived number of complaints/issues is likely much higher than the real number of problems.

Go look at the Toyota Highlander forum. Or the Chevy Traverse. Or the <insert mfgr of choice> forum...

You get the idea. Not a good place to form an opinion over reliability.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Totally agree with BMPeter. Another symptom that occurs on these forums is what I call contagious issues. An owner views a post about brake pedal feel(just an example), and suddenly he/she begins to think, "maybe mine feels weak, too". Had this owner not read the post about the weak brake pedal feel, the issue would never have occured to him/her.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey c'mon Aviator6, you're pickin' on me... ("weak brake")..;)...

I totally agree with you, It also happens with medicines. How often do you think people get around to looking up side effects of whatever (if any) meds they take on the net, and then within a day or two they're experiencing those very same side effects ?

·
Banned
157 Posts
Hey c'mon Aviator6, you're pickin' on me... ("weak brake")..;)...

I totally agree with you, It also happens with medicines. How often do you think people get around to looking up side effects of whatever (if any) meds they take on the net, and then within a day or two they're experiencing those very same side effects ?
That re-enforces my “theory of idiots”. BTW, the movie “Idiocracy” is a frighteningly accurate harbinger of the future of the human species.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
That re-enforces my “theory of idiots”. BTW, the movie “Idiocracy” is a frighteningly accurate harbinger of the future of the human species.
Future? Have you looked around recently? 🤡 Despite its low budget and cheesy vibe, that movie was a prophecy of what is coming to pass in our time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been reading almost every post for a month or two. I understand people usually only come here when they have problems and seeking for solutions. However, it scares me a bit that some have multiple issues on the very same vehicle. This indicates problems with overall reliability, not just a single part with design issues.

Almost everyone sees "Honda" = "reliability". Is it safe to say "Honda Pilot" = "reliability". Or, is the Pilot an abnormality from Honda lineup?
I have had a 1988 Honda Accord and it was perfect until I was T-boned, a 1997 Civic Del Sol that I just traded in for a larger 2006 Honda Accord for a larger/more powerful ride and then this 2016 Pilot. The 2006 Accord was the best car I have ever owned. I have never paid so much money in repairs or felt like the car was as unreliable as this car. We had the upgraded tow package put on at our dealership, one year later as we went a up hill between Phoenix and Flagstaff we had our transmission blow. We weren't towing anything. Carrying two adults and two kids under 10. How does a car under 3 years blow it's transmission? Who knows. We have had fuel line/injector problems. We have had issues with electronics acting crazy. The last thing is that they told me that I have to pay 1559.00 for new control arms because my bushings are torn. From normal driving. For almost 4 years. So just driving the car is going to incur the 1600 in repairs every 4 years. I am to consider this normal.
This has been a really huge disappointment and we paid cash for it. I am considering selling this car because it is completely unreliable and I don't feel confident driving it any distance now.

·
Banned
157 Posts
I have had a 1988 Honda Accord and it was perfect until I was T-boned, a 1997 Civic Del Sol that I just traded in for a larger 2006 Honda Accord for a larger/more powerful ride and then this 2016 Pilot. The 2006 Accord was the best car I have ever owned. I have never paid so much money in repairs or felt like the car was as unreliable as this car. We had the upgraded tow package put on at our dealership, one year later as we went a up hill between Phoenix and Flagstaff we had our transmission blow. We weren't towing anything. Carrying two adults and two kids under 10. How does a car under 3 years blow it's transmission? Who knows. We have had fuel line/injector problems. We have had issues with electronics acting crazy. The last thing is that they told me that I have to pay 1559.00 for new control arms because my bushings are torn. From normal driving. For almost 4 years. So just driving the car is going to incur the 1600 in repairs every 4 years. I am to consider this normal.
This has been a really huge disappointment and we paid cash for it. I am considering selling this car because it is completely unreliable and I don't feel confident driving it any distance now.
Sorry to read about your troubles. Can you elaborate on them? What transmission does your Pilot have (6 speed or 9 speed)? How many miles on the odometer? What specific electronic systems caused you trouble? Are the roads where you drive good or riddled with pot-holes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well cant say much. Only have 8900 miles on EX.. So far no issues at all. My only complaint is the remote starter does not run long enough
It was 8 degrees this morning and after activating and then reactivating 10 min later, it had barely melted the tin layer of frost 1/2 way up the windshield.
Wife has a 2005 KIA Sorento and the remote start will let the car run until you shut it off. Other than that I love it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well said! and I agree! Wonder if we can differentiate between those made in the States vs elsewhere?

We're at 140k with our 2004 and it has now become my "new" car. Just had power steering pump replaced and we're now having issue when over 40mph. Feels and sounds like we're going over a washboard with a leaf blower all on right side. Not quite a regular repeat but sometimes scary!

Thanks for any input.

·
Banned
157 Posts
Well said! and I agree! Wonder if we can differentiate between those made in the States vs elsewhere?

We're at 140k with our 2004 and it has now become my "new" car. Just had power steering pump replaced and we're now having issue when over 40mph. Feels and sounds like we're going over a washboard with a leaf blower all on right side. Not quite a regular repeat but sometimes scary!

Thanks for any input.
Check for loose covers on the underside of the engine bay and the inner fender liners. With older vehicles, the fasteners that secure these covers to the chassis become damaged or lost. Air turbulence at higher speeds is likely causing one or more of those covers to flap. Should be an inexpensive fix as the plastic rivets they use are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had no significant problems with my 2012 Honda Pilot. Granted, it only has a little over 50,000 miles on it. I have the dealer perform all scheduled maintenance. I only need to change the oil and filter once a year due to the few miles I drive in a year. Outside regular maintenance it did have the rear shocks replaced under warranty. One had a slight leak and the dealer replaced both of them. IIRC, two recalls were fixed, both minor ones having to do with air bags. I have replaced the timing belt, water pump and belt tensioner as the dealer advised it should be done every 100,000 miles or seven years.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the replies. That's good to know. We have a Honda old enough to attend middle school. Never had major mechanical issues. But, it was an old school vehicle, nothing fancy except a CD player. The new Pilot is like a computer on wheels. It carries more electronics than a Radio Shack. I'm glad to hear we have many happy owners here =)
I love my 2012 Pilot. It has been very reliable and I have no complaints. I don't like the style of the newer Pilots and plan to keep mine for many more years. It only has a little over 50,000 miles on it, so that should be no problem. We kept our 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo, bought new, until December 2018 when my wife, who inherited it from me in 2002, bought her 2018 Honda CR-V, which she really loves. Our Honda dealer does quality service work and the prices are reasonable. Being "Members of the Honda family" they give us a 10% discount on all parts and service. I have no complaints about them. We are two happy Honda owners.

As an aside, I bought a 2001 Ford Explorer in 2002 and kept it until I bought my Pilot. It was also very dependable and I had no major issues with it and no complaints about dealer service. I looked at the next generation Explorers and test drove one twice, but there were too many things about it I didn't like as opposed to things I did like, so I bought my Pilot, which has many things about it to like. I have not been sorry I changed brands.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts