Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I see comments about whether a price includes TTL, etc., it makes me wonder - how and when do you pay regsitration fees, taxes, etc. in your state? I'm just curious about how this works in other states, since it's obviously not the same.

When we buy a car, all we pay for at the dealership is the car. The dealership provides paperwork that we take to the tag agency, where we register and pay the tax and tag fees. The tax and fees used to be based on the sticker price of the car (which really sucked unless you bought a Saturn :p ), but they recently changed the law to base those fees on the amount you paid, not the sticker price. You pay on the full price, whether or not you had a trade-in.

How does yours work?

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
In Maryland, when I bought the Pilot, I paid for the vehicle, the tax, and the registration fee right then and there. The dealership handled all of the DMV paperwork -- after a couple of weeks, I got a postcard in the mail saying that my tags and stickers were ready to be picked up. Drove the Pilot to the dealer and they even installed my plates. (This is assuming that you don't transfer plates from a trade-in or whatever). Thus, I never had to step foot in the DMV. The registration fee is a flat fee for two years.

·
Registered
207 Posts
In Washington (state) the dealer takes all the money for tax and licensing, then calls you to come in for your plate. Don't have to go to DMV for inspection or emission test unless it was private party and from out of state. Our sales tax is based on the difference in your trade-in and actual purchase price of the new vehicle. Our tab is good for one year. After five years, we have to start emission testing to renew tabs.

·
Registered
149 Posts
In the Bluegrass State the dealer takes care of everything. Tax is based on 5.4% of MSRP.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
In Colorado, the dealer collects the sales tax, but actual registration fees are not collected until you actually go to the DMV and get your license plates.

YMMV

rod

·
Registered
204 Posts
Dealer collected all fees, tax based on 6.25% of the purchase price for the county of residence.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
01r1 said:
In Washington (state) the dealer takes all the money for tax and licensing, then calls you to come in for your plate. Don't have to go to DMV for inspection or emission test unless it was private party and from out of state. Our sales tax is based on the difference in your trade-in and actual purchase price of the new vehicle. Our tab is good for one year. After five years, we have to start emission testing to renew tabs.
Yep, and have to add (gloat) that our tabs are now only 30 clams a year, regardless of what the value of your vehicle is. BUT we have a hideous sales tax to compensate for lost revenue. :eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I purchased my Pilot from out of state dealer and all I paid is 80$ documentation fee + the price. Once I get the title I need to go to DMV and pay the tax and registration fee..

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Everything is prepared by and paid to the dealer. Temp registration & tag is issued when you pick up the vehicle. Easy. :4:

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
In the land of Lincoln the dealer handles all the registeration. Title charges are $80 and registeration is $78 per year. Since for my Pilot I transfered old plates I had to pay only the $80.

The dealer installed the old plates. If I was getting new plaes, they would have arrived at the dealers and they would hav einstalled them for me.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Tax is based on value of new car minus value of trade in.
Tax, title, and license are paid at delivery.
Texas keeps the vehicle license plates with the vehicle when it is sold (unless you have personalized plates).

Plates are picked up a Dealer later or can be mailed. Although there is one Dealer in town who still stocks plates on sight and you can drive home with license plates at vehicle delivery.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Here in PA the dealer takes care of everything as well (1 tag - only on the rear here in PA, title, registration & taxes). You get the new tag (along with temp. registration) placed on your vehicle at delivery, but a few weeks later you get a little registration sticker to place on your tag. At this point in time, I'm still waiting for my sticker since my Pilot is less than a month old!

PS. If you trade in, they put the old tag on the new vehicle and you still wait for the sticker (plus pay a $6 transfer fee).

Happy Piloting!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts