Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2008 Honda Pilot VP (~175,000 mi) owner here.
Want to know what timing belt kit y'all would recommend for the best price? Rock Auto would be preferred but if it is worth getting it elsewhere I am open to suggestions. Do not think my mother (last owner) ever had the timing belt changed so I am running on borrowed time really.

Was about to buy a Gates kit until I read somewhere to stay away from...
Heard some of the parts in the Aisin kit are subpar...

Registered

Reactions: fivermillions

Registered

Read Only
Get a gates. We will see you in a year when the bearings go out of the water pump. Aisin only. If oem is subpar over aftermarket China parts to you then I would go China. Was it oem or gates that made it 175k flawless miles? Oh that鈥檚 right. Not gates.

Registered
Get a gates. We will see you in a year when the bearings go out of the water pump. Aisin only. If oem is subpar over aftermarket China parts to you then I would go China. Was it oem or gates that made it 175k flawless miles? Oh that鈥檚 right. Not gates.
Gates water pump gasket failed at 50k miles. To flimsy.

Reactions: aggrex

Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
The Correct answer is A.

Aisin FTW!

Reactions: Nail Grease

Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
whatever kit the previous owner had the shop install on my vehicle was junk. at less than 80k miles on the replacement parts all of the components were showing moderate to severe wear except for the belt. I ripped all that old crap off and put on an aisin kit. engine runs smoother and quieter now and also the water pump is no longer leaking coolant which is a huge plus!

Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens peque帽o sparus tyre.
Get the
AISIN TKH002$166.79

You probably already know about the Piloteers 5% discount.
5% Discount Code: 31517DFA058403
Expires: February 12, 2021

Please enter this code in the 鈥楬ow Did You Hear about Us鈥 box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

You've probably read about the Gates kit.

Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 194,000 miles
Aisin kit has all the same brands and parts that the factory uses. 100% would never doubt an Aisin kit. I just put one in my 05 a month ago. Honestly gates and any China brand is asking for issues.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I will get an Aisin kit on Rock Auto. Read about a guy getting an Aisin kit with a water pump that he said was noticeably lower quality, lighter weight, or something like that is what had me on edge with Aisin. Just trying to be as sure of myself as I can. Thank you all for I do not know what I would do without y'all (or my Pilot).

Registered
Ok, I will get an Aisin kit on Rock Auto. Read about a guy getting an Aisin kit with a water pump that he said was noticeably lower quality, lighter weight, or something like that is what had me on edge with Aisin. Just trying to be as sure of myself as I can. Thank you all for I do not know what I would do without y'all (or my Pilot).
Nah, Aisin makes Toyota OEM water pumps. These are every bit as good as OEM Honda. Virtually identical and no difference in quality.

Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
yes rule of thumb: stay away from ebay sellers unless you can verify the seller is actually the direct manufacturer and stay away from amazon sellers unless the seller is actually amazon. rock auto is legit and while they use fedex most times which is questionable in their handling of packages, they usually protect the items inside so they arrive in un-damaged condition! never had a part arrived damaged or broken from RA!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts