Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 EX-L has 24,600 miles and we just got the A12 code that means oil change, tire rotation and engine & cabin Air filter replacement. I will have the oil change and tire rotation done in the dealer and I will buy both air filters and Install them myself (both dealers wanted like $120 - $150 to replace both the engine and cabin air filters, no way!)

The previous oil change was in December 2019 (when everything was "normal") and we have driven 6k miles in 1 year. I would say probably 70% - 80% city and the rest highway. We haven't towed anything.

At almost 25K miles, what other fluids do you recommend to replace?
  • Transmission?
  • Differential?
  • Transfer case?
  • Brake Fluid?
I called my 2 local dealers and they gave me the following prices:

Dealer 1:
  • Transmission - $160 with taxes, they only mentioned drain and refill
  • Transfer case - $120 with taxes
  • Rear differential - $156 with taxes
  • Brake Fluid - $167 with taxes, I didn't ask for this but they recommended it

Dealer 2
  • Transmission - $290 before taxes, they mentioned that they will drain and flush all the old fluid and refill with fresh fluid. As you can see, big price difference comparing to Dealer 1.
  • Transfer case - the person who helped me got confused or didn't know about the transfer case, I didn't insist.
  • Rear differential - $110 before taxes
  • Brake Fluid $140 before taxes, I didn't ask for this but they recommended it.
If there is anything else I should consider at this mileage, let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
Have the oil change done and get the brake fluid replaced.
Brake fluid replacement is due every three years.
Wait until the MM prompts appear for the other items.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The rear differential fluid should have been changed at the 2nd oil change or about 15K miles. If it was changed at 15K, it’s not needed now. The ATF/transfer case isn’t due to be changed until about 30K or your next maintenance.
ATF change is a drain and fill. This limits how much of the fluid gets changed. Many recommend a 3X drain and fill, driving a few miles between drains, to change out more of the old fluid. Maybe this is the difference in dealer quotes.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,042 Posts
Decline everything that they offer that Honda Maintenance minder doesn't mention is due.

·
Registered
499 Posts
OP what is the past service history? Like @Cbayman said, First rear diff fluid is changed around 15k miles which for both of mine were the 2nd oil change at 18k. Then after that its replaced every 30k. I'm with @Rocky to follow the maintenance minder along as someone didn't reset it early and throw of the later schedules.

Reactions: alfredoporro

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Mr. Alfredo,
Unless money is NO object, I'd like you to realize that many of those oil and fluid changes are easily done by you, or a friend who knows how, at a FRACTION- small fraction of the cost.

Reactions: alfredoporro

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Elite- Sapphire Steel Metallic 7P (gray) Delivery Date: 11-14-20
77 Posts
Never take your Honda to a quick lube place with all of their "power flushing" services. Japanese cars don't need "flushing" of fluids. Just regular drain and fill. The OP obviously has a 6 speed transmission, but the fluid for a 9-speed is $25 to $40 per quart depending where you buy it. I doubt there will be much "flushing" on a 9 speed at $30 a quart (or whatever). 9 speeds just need a 3.5 quart drain and fill regularly as sort of a rolling fluid refresh. Just use a scan tool to check the fluid temp upon refill. Same thing with coolant and diff oil changes. Just drain and replace only.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I come from BMWs where preventive maintenance is key for them and I'm kind of new to Hondas.

Believe it or not, I read the owner manual!

Anyways, The car was bought as a CPO with only 13K miles but there is not much history in the Carfax because the previous owner probably took the car for service to a shop where they don't report to Carfax, so I don't know if the differential fluid had been done. I asked the Honda Dealer and they said they didn't do the differential oil when they went over the car's certification process.

In the BMW world, we start replacing fluids (differential, transfer case, transmission) at around 30K so I think I may follow that pattern or I'll wait for the Maintenance Minder.

I scheduled the car for oil change and tire rotation, I'll do the cabin air filter and the engine air filter myself since it is very easy. Regarding the brake fluid, I'll have the dealer check the fluid and the brakes and see if they recommend to do the brake fluid (they said they check as part of the complimentary multi-point inspection). If for example my brake pads & rotors need replacement soon, I'll wait to do all at the same time. If I still have a good amount of life left in the pads & rotors, I may go ahead and do the brake fluid. The car has 25K miles now.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Never take your Honda to a quick lube place with all of their "power flushing" services. Japanese cars don't need "flushing" of fluids. Just regular drain and fill. The OP obviously has a 6 speed transmission, but the fluid for a 9-speed is $25 to $40 per quart depending where you buy it. I doubt there will be much "flushing" on a 9 speed at $30 a quart (or whatever). 9 speeds just need a 3.5 quart drain and fill regularly as sort of a rolling fluid refresh. Just use a scan tool to check the fluid temp upon refill. Same thing with coolant and diff oil changes. Just drain and replace only.

Can you recommend or suggest a scan tool which will read the 9 speed transmission fluid temperature? Owner's of the 6 speed transmission are able to have it show on some of the various scan tools, but I haven't read of any 9 speed transmission owners yet who have been able to read it.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,274 Posts
I come from BMWs where preventive maintenance is key for them and I'm kind of new to Hondas.

Believe it or not, I read the owner manual!

Anyways, The car was bought as a CPO with only 13K miles but there is not much history in the Carfax because the previous owner probably took the car for service to a shop where they don't report to Carfax, so I don't know if the differential fluid had been done. I asked the Honda Dealer and they said they didn't do the differential oil when they went over the car's certification process.

In the BMW world, we start replacing fluids (differential, transfer case, transmission) at around 30K so I think I may follow that pattern or I'll wait for the Maintenance Minder.

I scheduled the car for oil change and tire rotation, I'll do the cabin air filter and the engine air filter myself since it is very easy. Regarding the brake fluid, I'll have the dealer check the fluid and the brakes and see if they recommend to do the brake fluid (they said they check as part of the complimentary multi-point inspection). If for example my brake pads & rotors need replacement soon, I'll wait to do all at the same time. If I still have a good amount of life left in the pads & rotors, I may go ahead and do the brake fluid. The car has 25K miles now.
With the age of the vehicle your best bet is to take it to the dealer and have them tell you. If you haven't signed up at the Honda Owners site, you should. You would be able to see any and all service that was done to the vehicle by Honda. The dealer will have this same information. They can tell you what might need to be changed and get you back on the MM schedule.

Being 4 years old some of the things that should be done based on time is brake fluid, & power steering fluid drained and refilled. Coolant east the dealer. 2nd Gen Pilots it was every 120K For the AWD vehicles the rear differential is changed a 12k miles and then every 30K I believe.

If you get the vehicle back to the MM schedule and don't jump the gun on service it will tell you what is needed when it is needed.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Elite- Sapphire Steel Metallic 7P (gray) Delivery Date: 11-14-20
77 Posts
Can you recommend or suggest a scan tool which will read the 9 speed transmission fluid temperature?
I recommend ScanGauge II. It worked nice on a Civic, but I haven't tried it on the new Pilot yet now that you mention it. People talk about an "Ultragauge" for monitoring transmission temperature in real time off of the OBD port with a little plug in transmission temperature readout just for maintenance like this. Look out for phony knock off stuff that only mimics engine coolant temperature as "transmission temperature".

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Only other thing I would do is disable the VCM.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With the age of the vehicle your best bet is to take it to the dealer and have them tell you. If you haven't signed up at the Honda Owners site, you should. You would be able to see any and all service that was done to the vehicle by Honda. The dealer will have this same information. They can tell you what might need to be changed and get you back on the MM schedule.

Being 4 years old some of the things that should be done based on time is brake fluid, & power steering fluid drained and refilled. Coolant east the dealer. 2nd Gen Pilots it was every 120K For the AWD vehicles the rear differential is changed a 12k miles and then every 30K I believe.

If you get the vehicle back to the MM schedule and don't jump the gun on service it will tell you what is needed when it is needed.
Thank you for the advice about signing in Honda Owner's site, I will do it.

I ended up doing the oil change, tire rotation and rear differential fluid. They told me that the Brake fluid looked good and they didn't recommend to do it. There was not record about the rear differential done at honda and in the Carfax report I have there is no record neither, so I decided to do it. I think that for the next service I'll ask about the power steering fluid, I think I still have along way for the coolant. I assume my car will be around 32K when the next service is due.

I had a coupon for a free battery load test and my battery failed! they quote me I think around $240 for a battery replacement, of course I won't do it with them and I'll see what information I find in the forum regarding batteries. I'll call Costco to see if they have batteries for my Pilot.

They also quote me I think $65 for new wipers because they thought mine would need to be replaced. We haven't had heavy rain in the San Francisco Bay Area but my wife think they are okay for now, we'll check in the next rain.

My advisor told me that my car has extended warranty on the fuel injectors and the push start button, I didn't know that. Still, I have Honda Care but it was nice to know that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts