Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, been browsing around and haven't seen anything more recent on this topic...

I have a 2018 AWD Pilot and putting together an "emergency/long trip kit", if you will. Does anybody have any recommendations on a [portable] battery jump starter? It's more for my other half's V4 sedan car but in case I would need it, I figured I'd get one with specs to support my pilot and hence would definitely support a sedan car.

I have two in sight right now but would welcome other recommendations:

WEEGO 44.1 Jump Starting Power Pack
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GT1ZRXJ/?coliid=IJW0HVSS8IMF&colid=ZYZNDJIH441O&psc=0

NOCO Boost Plus GB40
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015TKUPIC/?coliid=I2YCYDTHPO7R98&colid=ZYZNDJIH441O&psc=0

Thanks!

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have two of these (one in each Pilot) and they have been life savers. Always seems Honda batteries last me two years then I need to get the "Platinum" or "Gold" tiered batteries from AutoZone (which last much longer I might add)

Clore Automotive Discontinued by Manufacturer - Jump-N-Carry JNC300XLC 900 Peak Amp 12V Jump Starter (CEC Compliant) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMP3Z4E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_v7HYCbWHFKAGM

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for responding. All good options too... I'm gonna do some comparisons and pull the trigger on one :)

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
This what I use a good ole hand crank ..fits just right behind the passenger front tire.... hence the hole in the wheel well plastic cover . It covers the crank bolt ...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Starter-Hand-Crank-w-Spinner-New-International-51544DBX/926845709?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=5847&adid=22222222227256909931&wl0=&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=304443601399&wl4=pla-546437392242&wl5=9004056&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=125216038&wl11=online&wl12=926845709&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw_a0uMr74QIVgx6tBh2MJw29EAQYBiABEgI35PD_BwE

**if you believe this ..then you need to go back to driving a bicycle.....

Attachments

·
Banned
70 Posts
Hi there, been browsing around and haven't seen anything more recent on this topic...

I have a 2018 AWD Pilot and putting together an "emergency/long trip kit", if you will. Does anybody have any recommendations on a [portable] battery jump starter? It's more for my other half's V4 sedan car but in case I would need it, I figured I'd get one with specs to support my pilot and hence would definitely support a sedan car.

I have two in sight right now but would welcome other recommendations:

WEEGO 44.1 Jump Starting Power Pack
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GT1ZRXJ/?coliid=IJW0HVSS8IMF&colid=ZYZNDJIH441O&psc=0

NOCO Boost Plus GB40
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015TKUPIC/?coliid=I2YCYDTHPO7R98&colid=ZYZNDJIH441O&psc=0

Thanks!

Thanks for the links, I had no idea jump starters were lithium and so small now! I have the older style lead acid battery jumper w/ attached compressor - it's been reliable but for the $ those lithium ones are definitely the way to go. Just a reminder to periodically charge it - I've ran into the issue in the past trying to jump a dead battery with a dead battery - no fun.

·
Registered
98 Posts
.... Just a reminder to periodically charge it - I've ran into the issue in the past trying to jump a dead battery with a dead battery - no fun.
WORD! I don't keep mine in the vehicle for day-to-day driving unless having battery issues, but always take it for long trips and camping. If possible you want one of these with a smart charging system, so you can leave it on the charger for extended periods of time without damaging it. I like the looks and price of the DBPower 600A unit, but will also shop around a bit before ordering.

·
Registered
42 Posts
WORD! I don't keep mine in the vehicle for day-to-day driving unless having battery issues, but always take it for long trips and camping. If possible you want one of these with a smart charging system, so you can leave it on the charger for extended periods of time without damaging it. I like the looks and price of the DBPower 600A unit, but will also shop around a bit before ordering.
I have a 17 EXL and it has a 12v outlet at the left rear cubby, I keep it plugged there so it'll charge on the go.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a "Brand X" lithium ion I got from Walmart. The specs looks good, hold full power for months, etc, etc. But I never had to use it. So I really don't know how good it is.

Yes, OEM Honda battery sucks, and have sucked consistently (from experience) for the last 15+ years based on the 4 new Hondas I've own/owned.

I would still flat out replace the old battery with something "better."

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
It does and I use my Galaxy phone charger too.
Is the USB charger that comes with the NOCO a wall plug-in AC-input type?
Info on the NOCO site seems to suggest that the USB charger they supply is a 12V-input type that only plugs into an auto accessory/cigarette lighter type socket, so you can't charge it home with only the items they supply.

YouTube

·
Administrator
15,510 Posts
I picked up a Gooloo unit off Amazon a while back. $40 wait for the sale. Strong enough to start a diesel PU.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update:

I decided on the NOCO GB40 and as I was comparing prices, Amazon has it for $85 I believe and Autozone had it for $130. Then I found it at Pepboys with an instant 20% off for $90.

I planned to purchase online at Pepboys for store pickup. Well, I stopped by Autozone for some windshield wiper fluid and saw they had it at that location and I asked if they would price match, since I was there and they had it in stock. The manager was very nice and he price matched it for me with Pepboys.

So I now have the GB40 at home charging :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts