Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all!
Sorry i can’t find a thread about the best quality/price ratio of motor oil i should use for my wife’s 2015 2wd i just bought her.
I ve been using quaker oil for my 04 pilot and it works great.
Any worthy suggestion so i don’t go blow $80 at honda dealership every 5000miles?
Thank you!

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
0W-20 detergent oil with an API Certification Seal on the container.
If you prefer Quaker State, get their Ultimate Durability full-synthetic oil.
Walmart sells it in a 5-qt container for about $18.
For a few dollars more, you could get a high-mileage formula full-synthetic oil from Pennzoil, Mobil or Valvoline.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thank you.
I m not obsessed with the $ amount frankly. It s more about about finding the right oil and not having to pay 14$ for a quart.
I started the quaker for my 04 because that s the one the majority on two forums recommended.
I ve used it for 7 yrs, putting on over 100k miles and still working like a charm.
If for that 2015 i need to buy the most expensive in order to put in another 100kmiles, i will.
Just trying to get some savvy 2015 users input.
Thank you sir!

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
Oil threads can quickly turn into a bunch of people screaming about their favorite brands. There are so many options, as long as it meets the basic qualifications @xGS mentioned, you will be fine. I owned a 1996 Accord and I would change the oil every 3,000 miles with whatever oil was cheapest. With my Pilot, I use Mobil1 High Mileage synthetic.

Basically, use whatever oil you want, as long as it meets the requirements Honda mentions in the owner's manual. The only reason I use Mobil1 is because other people say its good and I don't care enough to look further into it. Many auto parts stores offer rebates and specials to help you save a little bit more.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
If you didn't get a copy of the owner's manual, download one here:
Owners Manual for | 2015 Honda Pilot | Honda Owners

Compared to the '04 there is no fixed/printed maintenance schedule.
If you're not familiar with the operation of the Maintenance Minder system, read about it in the owner's manual.

Check your VIN to make sure the airbag recalls have been done:
Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Honda Owners Site

Replacement of the timing belt was due at 105K miles.
Do you know if that has been done?
If not, plan to have it done soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yes i did all this! I m a hunter. I spent over 6 months searching till i got what felt the right deal. I have all maintenance reports. Belt has been changed and airbag recall was processed. I think there s another recall in it too.
I m pretty handy and tooled. Have a very good mechanic to Rely on do the stuff that s too intensive for me in my small garage.
i still drive my 04 f150 and 04 pilot.

thanks so much guys for your intakes.

much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Like Jack, I buy big bottles of Mobil 1 and use it in everything. Walmart carries them locally.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
It's pretty hard to find a bad oil nowadays... Amazon Basics has tested well, Supertech (walmart) has tested well, Kirkland (Costco) has tested well. Shell has a new Rotella gas engine oil that has tested well. I suggest you spend some time on Youtube watching Project Farm videos, he compares many brands in a really unbiased manner.

I personally use Mobil1, and while some of the oils he has tested appear to be superior to Mobil1 I still like the price and availability and performance in my applications.

Reactions: bdozer1965
1 - 10 of 10 Posts