Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts
This is a fellow member's work in progress, which hopefully will become a sticky soon. It's more oriented toward someone looking over a used 1st Pilot and who's considering buying it, but I'm sure you'll agree it contains a wealth of maintenance information, since you're fortunate enough to have inherited one.

First Draft? Crowdsourced First-Gen Buyer's Checklist

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Got any recommendations on maintenance for a 2004 EX with approx.175K miles? Please share!
Do you have any service records at all? There is a lot of maintainace on a vehicle this age. It's worse if you don't know what's been done.
Do you DIY?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I am at 225K with 04 Pilot

1. is your rear subframe rusting out yet if your in the rust belt (also is rear bumper, under the bumper cover rusted out)
2. fluids - oil, trans, rear diff, coolant (I have drained and filled trans fluid every other oil change since original purchase).
3. brake rotors, pads, brake fluid, clean lube brake calipers pins (thanks Nail Grease)
4. power steering pump orings, power steering fluid replacement, replace reservoir with Honda upgraded unit.
5. air filter, cabin air filter, clean rear AC blower motor screen
6. timing belt, pump & associated parts, accessory belts, accy tension pully, spark plugs
7. clean out EGR passages, PCV valve, EGR valve
8. front and pass side engine mounts
9. adjustable control arm links to correct rear wheel camber
10. replace spare with factory wheel
11. radiator - how do trans fittings look? (more of an 05 issue)
12. front struts, control arms, tie rods, sway bar bushings & links, rear shocks (I went with KYB)
13. blue tooth stereo - Crutchfield purchases come with mount kit, wiring harness.
14. transmission 3rd/4th oil pressure switches (I haven't needed these yet)
15. clean throttle body & ICV
16. ONine leather repair tape if you have leather seats deteriorating
17. CV axles - I went aftermarket which I had to send one back. OEM or rebuild might have been better choice

other my car is starting to burn oil, 1/2 qt every 1000 miles

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
I am at 225K with 04 Pilot

1. is your rear subframe rusting out yet if your in the rust belt (also is rear bumper, under the bumper cover rusted out)
2. fluids - oil, trans, rear diff, brake fluid, PS fluid, coolant
3. air filter, cabin air filter, clean rear AC blower motor screen
4. timing belt, pump & associated parts, accessory belts, accy tension pully, spark plugs
5. clean out EGR passages, PCV valve, EGR valve
6. front and pass side engine mounts
7. adjustable control arm links to correct rear wheel camber
8. replace spare with factory wheel
9. power steering pump orings
10. radiator - how do trans fittings look? (more of an 05 issue)
11. front struts, control arms, tie rods, sway bar bushings & links, rear shocks (I went with KYB)
12. blue tooth stereo - Crutchfield purchases come with mount kit, wiring harness.

other my car is starting to burn oil, 1/2 qt every 1000 miles
Add: check brake pads, calipers and rotors.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,313 Posts
Got any recommendations on maintenance for a 2004 EX with approx.175K miles? Please share!
I just kept following the instructions on the owners manual and everything worked out great.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,568 Posts
Make sure the fluids are fresh and clean. Make sure the timing belt was replaced at 105k miles and prepare to have that done again around 200k.

Other than that, just replace whatever breaks. These cars aren’t super maintenance intensive.

Having the mindset that the car isn’t going to be nor does it need to be 100% perfect will save you money, time and frustration. I’m sure everything could be replaced, but does it need to be? I doubt it. Enjoy your Pilot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts