Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Honda Pilot EX-L 264k miles (RIP)
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty sure I've got a good leak somewhere and can't get to changing gaskets at the moment. Pilot is at 254k miles, what's a recommended oil and what gaskets should I focus on replacing when I get the chance?
It's warming up now but winters get down to -50°F.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,237 Posts

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
V
Pretty sure I've got a good leak somewhere and can't get to changing gaskets at the moment. Pilot is at 254k miles, what's a recommended oil and what gaskets should I focus on replacing when I get the chance?
It's warming up now but winters get down to -50°F.
Valvoline High-Mileage, either conventional or synthetic.
Given the leaks, and since it's warming up, use 5W-20.
If temps are going to be down to -50°F, maybe use synthetic 0W-20.
MOTOR OIL ENGINEERING TEST DATA
Valvoline™ High Mileage with MaxLife™ Technology Motor Oil : Product Catalog - Valvoline
Valvoline™ Full Synthetic High Mileage with MaxLife™ Technology Motor Oil : Product Catalog - Valvoline<br />

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,820 Posts
For which gaskets to replace you’ll first need to get an idea where on the engine block the leak originates from.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
My recommendation is Mobil1 High Mileage. It's always had good reviews for it's detergents and seal conditioners. You may want to spend some time on Bob is the Oil Guy seeing what they recommend.

What's your loss rate? Are you talking a quart per 1000 miles?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Until I started using Valvoline MaxLife, my oil pan was slightly moist with oil. Been using it for 3x years and 70k miles and the engine is perfectly dry.
I do have to add about 1 quart per 3500 miles though. No idea if the Pilot consumed that much oil before I bought it with 70k miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts