Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to keep my 2007 Pilot going for a while longer, but I am finding myself constantly frustrated by the lack of modern connectivity options with the factory head unit. Can anyone give me any recommendations on what sorts of head units are viable that will give me Bluetooth connectivity for both calls and music, USB connectivity and preferably maintain compatibility with the rear DVD system (or somehow replace that capability with video streaming from an Android device)?

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Not a head unit, which replacing will lose you the factory sub and most likely connectivity with the rear DVD unit, but this kit gives me Bluetooth connectivity for both calls and music, and allows me to keep everything else. I get Waze and/or Google Maps directions through the car audio system, too, gently cutting in and out of music wirelessly streaming from from my phone.

Bluetooth and iPhone/iPod/AUX Kits for Honda Pilot 2006-2008 – GTA Car Kits

Get the Pure Bluetooth version.

Relatively easy to install with their great video, and considerably less expensive than a new head unit. Steering wheel controls work, too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a head unit, which replacing will lose you the factory sub and most likely connectivity with the rear DVD unit, but this kit gives me Bluetooth connectivity for both calls and music, and allows me to keep everything else. I get Waze and/or Google Maps directions through the car audio system, too, gently cutting in and out of music wirelessly streaming from from my phone.

Bluetooth and iPhone/iPod/AUX Kits for Honda Pilot 2006-2008 – GTA Car Kits

Get the Pure Bluetooth version.

Relatively easy to install with their great video, and considerably less expensive than a new head unit. Steering wheel controls work, too.
Thanks. I watched the videos. Doesn't look terrible, but probably still beyond what I should be trusted to do properly. I was really hoping that there was a better option than this, but I will look into finding somewhere local that will put this in for me. I had the dealership put an iPod interface in when we bought it new, which I really don't need. I presume it would have to replace that anyhow, right?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Pilot 2007 accommodates a standard double-DIN, which means pretty you have a massive number of options there. A lot of options will give you a nice touch screen and full CarPlay/AndroidAuto support. Navigation, music, hands-free calling, Google assistant, you name it. (i.e. I can just tell it "Hey Google, play Rammstein") It does take a bit of additional expense and know-how. You might need to locate service manuals for the wiring diagrams or take the car to a pro installer.

Depending on what sort of factory system you got, you might have an external amplifier, or one built into the head unit.
With external factory amp, you can just connect your new head preamps, and you should be good to go.
No external amp: Head unit will also have amplified output for the sub. Your new head unit will only at most have sub preamp. You can either keep factory sub and get a compact 50W mono amp for it, Or you can upgrade the factory sub to something better and get a high powered amp. Yet another option is to upgrade all speakers/sub and get a nice 5/6-channel amp to drive them.

Now, Rear DVD entertainment system. First, ask yourself a question and answer honestly: Are you actually using that rear DVD system? My two teenage daughters would have a catfight in the back deciding what to watch on that single screen. When we are on the road, they are each on their own device (phone/Switch/iPad).

That said, if I did want to set up rear entertainment in my car, my Alpine ILX-207 would let me do just that. It supports input from an external video device either via composite (AUX) or via HDMI, and can do phone screen mirroring via MHL - see this article
The factory DVD player would most likely need to be hooked into the AUX input.

And it can output to an external video device via HDMI as well. I would imagine Pilot's rear screen module uses either composite (single yellow RCA for video + red/white RCA for audio) or a component (red/green/blue set of RCA for video) so it would require a proper converter.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here is my post from a while back, there may be a new model available:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts