Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,have a quick question.
So I'm having starter problems. My old honda pilot starter just went out,that's too bad.
Have you ever bought starter replacement online and how long does it last ?
I see Hex Auto Parts has 2003-2005 Honda Pilot Starter 3.5L 17728 for sale, the price is affordable (only $55) and no core charge.
Thank you for your sharing.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,259 Posts
Certainly a good deal. Hope it works. Five reviews on their site say it does, FWIW.

Otherwise, here are some more options.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Still got the oem one on board 220k later and still running with it apparently they last longer than the alternators :)

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,179 Posts
When mine died at ~100k miles I went with the Autozone one which I think was on sale for $120 at the time. I couldn’t justify the 3x cost for a OEM remanufactured unit nor 4x cost for a new OEM unit. It’s been trouble free for over a year.

Not sure if your Pilot is a 2005 (thus only applies to 2005) but since the battery and tray gets removed for easier access I would have also replaced the tranny filter while I was in there. Again, this is specific for the 2005.

Reactions: Friend

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mine failed about 250k, I bought a new one - not a reman - from the local Advance Autoparts using a coupon.

I pulled the battery and tray when I did mine. Doing the transmission filter is a good idea. It will be easy to get to with the tray out.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'd never buy a cheap no-name starter. I have purchased no-name chinese parts on Amazon and almost every single one of them failed out of the box. It costs time, energy, delayed repairs, and possibly return shipping fees. I gave that up.

It really comes down to how much you like to gamble, and how hard it is to remove and replace. In a case like this, if there is no clear choice that you always use/trust (like a Denso) and the price isnt that different, this is one of the FEW times I'll buy something from Autozone or the like, they have the starter for $116 and lifetime warranty. I also look at Advance Auto and NAPA options. At least I know I can swap it out at a moment's notice with no shipping or time lost.

·
Registered
306 Posts
That cheap no-name one is just too cheap - I'd be suspicious. Replacing a starter is enough trouble, I'd spend the extra $50 to get a good name brand. If I was doing the job today, I'd probably go for a new Bosch or a reman Denso at Rockauto.

Recently had a shop replace starter in a 2002 CRV for my Dad. They put in a reman Bosch. It is fine 6-months later.

- Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
When mine died at ~100k miles I went with the Autozone one which I think was on sale for $120 at the time. I couldn’t justify the 3x cost for a OEM remanufactured unit nor 4x cost for a new OEM unit. It’s been trouble free for over a year.

Not sure if your Pilot is a 2005 (thus only applies to 2005) but since the battery and tray gets removed for easier access I would have also replaced the tranny filter while I was in there. Again, this is specific for the 2005.
I just put that one in last night

·
Registered
12 Posts

ALSO, very important -- Autozone starters come with lifetime warranty. If it fails, free replacement with the core.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,179 Posts
Yeah, the lifetime replacement warranty was also a deciding factor to go with the Autozone starter. But I hope I never have to use the warranty.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had to replace the original starter on my '05 a little over five months ago. I went with a remanufactured Carquest unit from Advance Auto for $120. I would've preferred a Denso but I needed something quickly as it's my wife's daily driver. Looking back I'm pretty sure it was starting to fail last winter as it was very difficult to start several times on very cold days. I charged the battery and all was fine so I just assumed it was the battery.

I also replaced the battery ground cable which attaches to the engine block as the original cable was literally falling apart at the section which is exposed to the elements...such a stupid design. I just crimped connectors onto some 4 gauge car audio cable which I had lying around.

So far so good. BTW, I'm still running with the original alternator at the 201K mile mark. I plan to replace it in the spring with a Denso...better safe than sorry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts