Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's some wisdom on this forum so I wanted to ask here.

I'm selling my jeep grand Cherokee soon and contemplating buying a project vehicle that I can work on with my kids.

Whatever vehicle would just be a weekend cruiser, not a D/D. It wouldn't matter if it sat on jack stands for a month in the garage.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone here has something and what they would recommend.

My preference would be something where parts would be easily available and relatively inexpensive, oh and nothing German.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
And a similar German Dad is posting something similar, and saying,
'and oh, nothing American!' LOL

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
What’s up with the JGC as older versions are a popular project vehicle and has good aftermarket support. Asking on a Pilot forum will probably lean towards 1rst or 2nd gen Pilot or even the old Passport depending on the budget.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Are we talking classic, 80s/90s or newer? Truck/SUV or car? Something off the wall? Need some guidance.

Classics are always a solid investment because if you buy right and invest right you are in a much better financial position. And many classics deserved to be saved.

A fox body/SN95 Mustang or 3rd/4th gen Camaro make for really fun, good looking and cheap to work on cars. Even C4/C5 Vettes. Wranglers are always a fun proposition.

If I were to get a Japanese project car I'm definitely looking for a clean 300ZX T top, twin turbo if that's in the cards. Look good, really neat interior, the VG30 is a great powerplant and parts are readily available.

Reactions: Highspeedbail

·
Registered
183 Posts
I know there's some wisdom on this forum so I wanted to ask here.

I'm selling my jeep grand Cherokee soon and contemplating buying a project vehicle that I can work on with my kids.

Whatever vehicle would just be a weekend cruiser, not a D/D. It wouldn't matter if it sat on jack stands for a month in the garage.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone here has something and what they would recommend.

My preference would be something where parts would be easily available and relatively inexpensive, oh and nothing German.
Older Land Rover, Lexus GX 460, Lexus LX 450, 470. Obviously, these would be high mileage projects for overlanding or offroading

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,042 Posts
I would trend towards either an old four wheel drive 4Runner or a Jeep Cherokee Second gen “XJ”.
One of those doesn’t break, the other breaks but you can get parts for it at any auto parts store.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,275 Posts
It wouldn't matter if it sat on jack stands for a month in the garage.
3rd/4th gen Camaro make for really fun
Sounds like the first part of one of Jeff Foxworthy's famous lines: If yer house is on wheels but yer Camaro ain't, ...

But OP, nothing beats a classic not only for sculptured looks, but also for working room inside the engine bay.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And a similar German Dad is posting something similar, and saying,
'and oh, nothing American!' LOL
I don't want to chase electrical problems. Every single audi or vw that my friends have owned had electrical problems at 50/60k miles. Great cars to lease but after the warranty is up hit the eject button.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What’s up with the JGC as older versions are a popular project vehicle and has good aftermarket support. Asking on a Pilot forum will probably lean towards 1rst or 2nd gen Pilot or even the old Passport depending on the budget.
I love mine too death but it's an '04 2WD Laredo. If I'm going to put a lift and 35s my preference would at least to have 4wd. Granted I don't think it would ever go off road.

I need to document the work that needs to be done and see.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are we talking classic, 80s/90s or newer? Truck/SUV or car? Something off the wall? Need some guidance.

Classics are always a solid investment because if you buy right and invest right you are in a much better financial position. And many classics deserved to be saved.

A fox body/SN95 Mustang or 3rd/4th gen Camaro make for really fun, good looking and cheap to work on cars. Even C4/C5 Vettes. Wranglers are always a fun proposition.

If I were to get a Japanese project car I'm definitely looking for a clean 300ZX T top, twin turbo if that's in the cards. Look good, really neat interior, the VG30 is a great powerplant and parts are readily available.
Your post pretty much sums up my original thought process exactly.

The first 3 that come to my mind, not in any order.
1. Wrangler
2. Fox body
3. 300z

Wrangler bc easy to work on and great aftermarket support. Don't have to worry about speeding tickets.

I loved the 300z and the 3000GT growing up, all the cool dads had those. I follow a few Japanese import sites and always get excited when I see the 300z but I've heard and can see there is no extra room in the engine bay.

Good stuff!!!

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would trend towards either an old four wheel drive 4Runner or a Jeep Cherokee Second gen “XJ”.
One of those doesn’t break, the other breaks but you can get parts for it at any auto parts store.
Don't think 4Runner but that's a great call. A little more practical than the Wrangler but still got some room.

My uncle had an XJ limited, I loved it, poor thing is sitting in my grandma's driveway rotting. Last I saw rust had started its way through the doors.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Your post pretty much sums up my original thought process exactly.

The first 3 that come to my mind, not in any order.
1. Wrangler
2. Fox body
3. 300z

Wrangler bc easy to work on and great aftermarket support. Don't have to worry about speeding tickets.

I loved the 300z and the 3000GT growing up, all the cool dads had those. I follow a few Japanese import sites and always get excited when I see the 300z but I've heard and can see there is no extra room in the engine bay.

Good stuff!!!
Well it sounds like you need to figure out whether you want a sporty car or a 4WD first, then go from there. Lots of good options in either scenario. I love my '61 Impala and working on the classic muscle, I prefer my toys and projects to be cars since I have no good offroading in my area. If I lived in NC or CO or another state with plentiful off roading I'd definitely lean that direction, but as it is I have an AWD Crossover for poor weather and my fun cars are cars.

Reactions: Highspeedbail

·
Registered
120 Posts
We toy with this '65 Ford. Hauling junk with this keeps our Pilot clean. Most parts are dirt cheap. Repairs are infrequent but when required are usually straightforward and fun.

Same week I did the motor mounts in my Pilot and this. Pilot took me 3 days and $500, motor mounts on this were $2.50 each and R&R in 10 minutes.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
I'd browse my local Copart auction and pick something up cheap. Never know what you might end up with. I like surprises.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,277 Posts
That doesn't look much like a project.
Disable the VCM, Chang the oil. Gas and go.
They didn't have any wrecked ones. Apparently all of the ones that Copart have for sale had good driver/owners that could handle their vehicles on the OEM tires. ;) 🤣 That was just the cheapest one I could find.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
They didn't have any wrecked ones. Apparently all of the ones that Copart have for sale had good driver/owners that could handle their vehicles on the OEM tires. ;) 🤣 That was just the cheapest one I could find.
Let's see if we can find a project, for the OP in Florida...
Here's a nice 08 Acura TL that's rebuildable.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts