Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendation on roof cargo. I saw one by Thule on Volkswagen Atlantis and it looked great but haven't seen any on 3rd gen Pilot anyone with pix will be great.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
330 Posts
Any of the RocketBox variants work great. Yakima and Thule are the most common. Packasport is more deluxe. Some require the crossbars from their system. You can buy the complete setup on Craigslist all the time, at least around here.

Just be ready for a big step up to load the thing. I have to stand on my rear tire to have easy, full view access, and I'm 6'1".

·
Registered
50 Posts
You might also have some luck looking at some of the Passport owners, seems that the camping/roadtrip guys are embracing it and it is in some ways just a shorter Pilot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Thule Force XT (size XL) cargo box that fits great on my 2016 Pilot. It secures well to the Honda crossbars with no interference from the back hatch (when open).

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Have had the Thule Summit (ski-type box), the X-cargo sport 20 and the Thule Evolution 6410 (sold exclusively at sears).

Liked the Summit, was perfect for my Accord at the time.

The Sport 20 is cavernous and shaped to hold a lot of larger items but the rear opening was a bit of a pain on the Pilot and Traverse to load and unload. Also the plastic was a different material and maybe a little thinner so on hot days it would actually start to "buckle" because of how soft it got.

The 6410 has been fantastic. A little hard to get the far side clamps locked down since it opens from the passenger side only but it's got 3 locking points along the side and it was rock solid from MD to FL and back. I'm a little concerned about the glossy finish holding up but it's been good so far. Not as tall as the X-Cargo but quite long so it still holds a lot of large items... I had 3 strollers, an extra car seat, a suitcase and some other odds and ends for the Disney trip.

Reactions: wootek

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a Yakima SkyBox. I think it is a 16, but it may be a 21. We purchased the SkyBox for our '09 Odyssey many years ago, but with the flush rails on our '19 Pilot, it required Yakima's landing pads (which were very difficult to get on) and the Skyline Towers (which were very easy to attach). It sits a little higher than I would like, but there is plenty of room for the back hatch to open freely. (Don't give me the gears about the SkyBox being off centre, that's next week's project!)

Alberta, Canada

Pilot #1.jpg Pilot #2.jpg Pilot #3.jpg Pilot #4.jpg

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Wow that thing is way up in the air! I would look for a box that is more low profile for sure... The hardware on all of the boxes I've sit less than 1" from the bottom of the rail, so even low profile rails should work nicely.

Also, why is the box off center??? :p

·
Registered
43 Posts
We have a Yakima SkyBox. I think it is a 16, but it may be a 21. We purchased the SkyBox for our '09 Odyssey many years ago, but with the flush rails on our '19 Pilot, it required Yakima's landing pads (which were very difficult to get on) and the Skyline Towers (which were very easy to attach). It sits a little higher than I would like, but there is plenty of room for the back hatch to open freely. (Don't give me the gears about the SkyBox being off centre, that's next week's project!)

Alberta, Canada

View attachment 132272 View attachment 132273 View attachment 132274 View attachment 132275
Mine is always off center: easier to access.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have the stock rails and crossbars and use a Yakima Skybox Carbonite 21. We find it to work extremely well. It's light enough that I can lift it on to the top of the Pilot by myself, but it's a LOT easier if someone helps. Set all the way forward, the rear of the Skybox has plenty of clearance for the tailgate.

The box is big enough that I can't access the entire thing from one side. So I will often have to switch from one side of the vehicle to the other to fill it.

The skybox does create a little wind noise and we've noticed that the gas mileage go down a 2-3 mpg. But that's also on account of the weight (because we usually have a full car when we're using it). I think, with the stock rails/bars. I could probably fit a single bike carrier on the roof as well, but I don't have one to try. Also the box partially blocks the sunroof.

I do remove it when we don't use it. So the keep in mind that when you're not using the box, you'll need someplace to store it. Nevertheless, I recommend getting the biggest box you can fit on the Pilot. You won't ever regret having more space.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i have a thule whatever and it sits flat on the rails. it has a texture, it's not smooth, so stickers don't really work on it. Not sure of the model but it can hold many pairs of skis (probably 8 or 9). There is room for a single bike rack next to it if needed. I also keep mine off-center so that it is easier to access.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a Yakima Skybox 21 Carbonite that I used on my 2016 Touring with OEM roofrails (mfg installed included with Touring) and OEM crossbars that I installed (15 mins total time) and it worked great. It was the only box I could find that would fit my baby stroller. With all seats occupied it helped out a lot with storage for our monthly trips to Disneyland and SoCal from BayArea/NorCal. No issues from opening the rear hatch, no issues with opening/tilting the sunroof either.

2019 Touring AWD MSM
2016 Touring AWD MSM (traded-in)

·
Registered
28 Posts
A few weeks ago we went for a road trip with the family who were visiting from Europe. We had 6 people in the car, we only opened half of the third row. Still, we needed extra space because of the stroller and the basinet we still use with our toddler and infant. I borrowed my friend's Yakima SkyBox 16 (I decided to borrow this time instead of buying since I don't really know when I will use it again).

I'm really glad I borrowed from him, it was super helpful. The hard part was to put it on the roof, I would recommend 2 people. Pictures attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A few weeks ago we went for a road trip with the family who were visiting from Europe. We had 6 people in the car, we only opened half of the third row. Still, we needed extra space because of the stroller and the basinet we still use with our toddler and infant. I borrowed my friend's Yakima SkyBox 16 (I decided to borrow this time instead of buying since I don't really know when I will use it again).

I'm really glad I borrowed from him, it was super helpful. The hard part was to put it on the roof, I would recommend 2 people. Pictures attached.
Is it that heavy?

Sent from Galaxy S10+ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is it that heavy?

Sent from Galaxy S10+ using Tapatalk
It is around 42 pounds, not that much. However, for me it was hard to handle because of the size. I could have put it by myself, but I would have risked to scratch something. I recommend 2 people with step tools.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I'm 6'3" and I can tell you the larger boxes can be installed by one person but it's always easier to have a second set of hands to help guide and align while I do the bulk of the lifting. My wife comes out to help for about 3 minutes then I finish it up.

Reactions: EFICTION
1 - 18 of 18 Posts