Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,322 Posts
This was a gift.

Then you simply download an app to your phone to access the information. I use Torque Pro II. To get an ATF reading, you must set up a a PID using these parameters....
OBD2 Mode and PID: 222201
Long Name: Transmission Temp F
Short Name: ATF Temp
Minimum value: -40
Maximum value: 300
Scale factor: x1
Equation: AA*(9/5)-40
Overrides PID: "Does not override any PIDs"

·
Registered
922 Posts
Not sure if it works with the 9 speed transmissions yet. I've read other owners have tried but can't get it to work on the 9 speed, only on the 6 speed.

Can anyone confirm or correct me?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I've been using a ScanGauge on various vehicles since about 2005. Easily moves from one OBDII vehicle to another. Reads/clears codes and a whole lt more, including TFT. Plug-n-play. Not sure about the 9 speed.....an email to them will probably get you an answer. About $150, iirc.

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been using a ScanGauge on various vehicles since about 2005. Easily moves from one OBDII vehicle to another. Reads/clears codes and a whole lt more, including TFT. Plug-n-play. Not sure about the 9 speed.....an email to them will probably get you an answer. About $150, iirc.
Scangage II was recommended by another person. I think Jon DZ Adventuring is using the one like it. I just confirmed on their sitee

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whichever monitor you decide to get, let us know what 9 speed temps you see, driving conditions, etc.👌
This is long overdue, but I finally got and tested Scangauge II. I observed F170 or lower around town. During the overlanding trip that involved a lot of gravel roads and climbing the temps were around 185-190 with one occasion when it went up to 204 on a steep and long climb. This is just me in the car and some gear, but not too much.

I will be getting a skid plate soon and a ATF cooler and I will report my observations with those installed at a later time.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did an offroading trip yesterday, climbing to the top of a peak in my Pilot. 7500 feet is the highest road in WA. The climb was gradual but long and it allowed me to notice that my transmission temperature goes sky high when I am in Sand mode. 3/4 in I noticed that my transmission temperature was at 214F and that's whith 35 degrees outside. I have done sustained climbs before when offroading but the temps didn't get this high.

I switch to regular drive mode and the temps dropped to 204F in a minute or so without stopping. The road was tough so it was a constant 1-2-3 shifting although in D I think it is more 2-3 and the first gear is not engaged ( not really an easy way to tell).

I love sand mode for two reasons: it keeps the higher gear longer so I feel more power and also AWD send more power to the back. After this observation, I intend to stay away from Sand mode unless I need it for a short period of time.

I never would have known about this without a temperature monitor. I wonder if I would have gotten the red light (transmission overheating warning) by the time I got to the top...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
From what I’ve observed, my TFTs dropped dramatically going from no cooler, to installing a BATC. I see TFTs will rise driving slow around town and will drop at highway speeds (no off-roading). I’m reasonably sure airflow thru the cooler makes a big difference….slow speed, less airflow and vice versa. Keep a close eye on your TFT when slow off-roading…..a fan behind the cooler would aid airflow thru the cooler. Just a thought. Main thing is, you now know TFT….no longer driving blind/guessing TFT.👍

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
652 Posts
Speed was variable due to pot holes and rough road but between 5-18 mph. No AT cooler yet. AT cooler and front skid plate will be installed soon (as soon as my mechanic can get me in)
You can obviously tell later the difference but if you need more cooling like mentioned you could mount something like this 6" fan with your own switch so you can turn on just for the stress periods. I'd probably opt more for the flex-a-lite based on name brand recognition.

I don't know if it stays on constant but of you put the A/C on the extra cooling fan turns on. Set heat/cool to a comfortable temp and you'll have some extra air flow. Some manufactures (and DIY) add some extra foam between the radiator and condenser to "seal" it better. this way air pulls through it no around it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts