Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 with 166,000 miles. The AC works fine; however, I've never done anything to it and was wondering if it should be proactively charged for optimal performance.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I have a 2005 with 166,000 miles. The AC works fine; however, I've never done anything to it and was wondering if it should be proactively charged for optimal performance.
Yes if it's low. It's real easy to overcharge if not careful.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I do not recommend proactively recharging the a/c system without knowing whether the refrigerant levels are low. However if you are interested in your a/c system status buy / borrow a set of auto a/c manifold gauges and learn how to use them. Based on the age of the Pilot inspect your condenser for loose fins or road damage.

·
Registered
847 Posts
The OP said “the a/c works fine”.🤷‍♂️

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
847 Posts
Can you tell us your before/after dash vent temp, a/c set to "LO"?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Can you tell us your before/after dash vent temp, a/c set to "LO"?
If you're asking me, it wasn't that cold just by feel and got the AC pro. The reading on the AC pro gauge was fairly low and out of the green zone on the gauge and I filled it until it was at the recommended pressure based on outside air temp. Which, just so happened to be in the middle of the green markings on the gauge.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Does that translate to 38F-40F vent temp, a/c set at “LO”?

·
Registered
41 Posts
ok so I am in the same situation (with '04 Pilot 180K - and never had work on AC system) EXCEPT that my ac does not blow cold. Blows COOL in lower temps (outside temps at low 70F) so I know its there.

What should I check for before I considering recharging the system? Is there other cheaper check i should perform?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Read the posts by OhthreeHondaCoP. Make sure efan(s) is/are running when when a/c is on and temp is set to "low". Check vent temp with a probe thermometer.....should see +/-40F vent temp. After that, probably need a a/c pro to hook up gauges/check pressures/add dye or use a refrigerant sniffer/check for leaks and go from there.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
If the AC system is fine leave it the hell alone ... you can actually do worse to it while trying to be "pro active" ..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts