Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my Pilot off at the dealership for some minor work today and got a 2000 Accord as a loaner. My Pilot's radio was doing its usual bad job of receiving but when I got into the Accord its radio brought the same station in crystal clear. The Accord was parked RIGHT NEXT to my Pilot!!! :3:

It's got to be the internal antenna mount. Either that or Honda's quality in radios has gone way down since 2000. I'm thinking of trying a temporary external antenna to test my theory.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've noticed the reception not being as good as I've had in other vehicles as well. It's not bad most of the time but in areas that have weaker signals I do get static. I fixed it by changing to a CD while I'm in those areas. Our Highlander has it's antenna in the glass as well but they put it into both rear quarter windows. It seems to work fine.
Once the digital radio standards get sorted out (I think XM will win) I'm planning on getting one.

·
Registered
96 Posts
ChuckW said:
I dropped my Pilot off at the dealership for some minor work today and got a 2000 Accord as a loaner. My Pilot's radio was doing its usual bad job of receiving but when I got into the Accord its radio brought the same station in crystal clear. The Accord was parked RIGHT NEXT to my Pilot!!! :3:

It's got to be the internal antenna mount. Either that or Honda's quality in radios has gone way down since 2000. I'm thinking of trying a temporary external antenna to test my theory.
Unfortunately, that's the price we pay for having the antenna in the rear quarter glass.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Pilot is a great vehicle. Awesome vehicle. I'm extremely happy with my purchase and proud to drive it but it is amazing to me that such a poor antenna setup got through Honda's quality control.

Definitely going to try an external antenna.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
ChuckW said:

:mblah: I've posted on this topic before, and had begun to think I was the only one bugged by this problem. Like you, ChuckW, I've parked my '98 Civic right next to the Pilot--and confirmed my suspicion that the Pilot's reception (FM & AM) is much inferior.

Though I've always been told that antennas in glass don't do as well as external antennas, I'm still surprised that Pilot's reception is as poor as it is. Those of you who install external antennas....pls. let the rest of us know how your experience goes.

P.S. While the radio performance has been disappointing, I STILL LOVE MY PILOT and the way it FLOATS down the road!!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The aggravating thing is that the Accord they loaned me has an internal antenna too. I guess there's just less metal to get in the way on an Accord.

·
Registered
41 Posts
To really make things interesting... I live in Mpls/St. Paul and have had no reception issues. It's actually working better than the BMW I had. Go figure.

Don't discount the crappy headunit for some of the problems. I'm sure an aftermarket headunit would perform much better with the same antenna.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Strange, but as with other Pilot problems noted on this forum, I don't have a problem....as a matter of fact the reception on the Pilot is exceptional compared to other vehicles I own - 99 Vette, 91 Accord, 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee (sold). I can pick up stations from Milwaukee (about 65 miles from Columbus, WI where I live) and haven't been able to do this with any other car I've had in past 23 years. Also, a nice feature to push a button and program local stations when your on a trip.

bakerlar

·
Registered
409 Posts
External Antenna..

I will be waiting to hear from those that try external antennas. What kind...where did you mount them..did you do the work or have it done at a stereo shop?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts