Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi - I'm new here... Hopefully posting this in the appropriate place.
(After looking at what I've written I should probably move this to a blog somewhere and post a link to the blog. Let me know if you have recommendations.)

I purchased a wrecked 2013 Pilot at a salvage auction and intend to rebuild it and make it my wife's daily driver. Figured I'd start this thread and post updates and pictures as the rebuild progresses. I'll learn a thing or two as I get into it and maybe the lessons will be valuable to someone else, plus I'm sure I'll have some questions for the forum along the way.

I'm somewhat of novice and took this on as a project after watching people on YouTube make it look easy. I'm sure I'm in way over my head :oops:. I'll be doing this in my 2 car garage with basic mechanics tools. When all is said and done, I'm hoping to invest no more than $10K to get it back on the road including purchase price and all repairs.

Here are the specs on the Pilot:
2013 Pilot EX-L with RES and AWD
Taffetta White exterior with gray interior
92,000 miles, one owner vehicle from South Carolina
The engine runs smooth as silk and it drives at slow speed without any obvious issues other than the front left tire rubbing inside the damaged wheel well. The white paint is in super rough shape for a vehicle of this age. The paint is peeling off the roof in chunks and the rest of the body is very dull and the paint seems extremely thin. I'm going to end up repainting the whole thing or maybe even vinyl wrapping it.

It was in a front end collision and damage appears to be isolated to the front corner on the driver's side. Unfortunately, the steering wheel and passenger dash airbags deployed in the accident. It appears that there isn't any frame damage, but the radiator support/bulkhead and everything else is pretty much destroyed left of the radiator. The radiator, AC condenser, and all front end mechanicals are luckily in perfect condition.

Here are a few pics from when I looked at it on the auction lot...

I've already started ripping the damaged bits off the car and have ordered all of the parts needed to rebuild it. I'll get into the details of the damage and the parts list in my next update.

Here are a few pics with the fenders and bumper removed...

IMG_6209.JPEG

My first surprise was that the radiator support and the rest of the body is welded together rather than bolted. My only other experience with rebuilding was on a Mini Cooper S and all of the damaged parts I replaced (including the radiator support) were bolted in place - not welded. I have no experience welding and don't think I'll try to learn that skill on a vehicle that will eventually carry my family of 5. I found a few mobile welders online and will likely employ one of them to weld everything after I clamp the replacement pieces in position.

Still tons of work ahead and a lot of details to figure out... Paint or wrap? What color? Bigger wheels? Other accessories or mods? All to be determined very soon and I'll update as I get farther into it.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Best of luck to you!

Reactions: JWMac3

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,947 Posts
Wishing you the best of luck on this project. I’ll definitely check in every once in a while to see how the rebuild is progressing.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Before looking into mods get the sucker road worthy first then let the mod bug eat you alive ....
Down load these service manuals if you don't have a copy they work all the way up to the 2015 series ..

Will be following this thread ..best wishes and any questions on stuff feel free to post your questions in the 2013 section and someone will chime in .. :)

Welcome to the forums

1 - 5 of 5 Posts