Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
Looking for some help on hard wiring a dash cam to the rearview mirror on a 2019 pilot touring.
idea is to wire it using a wire tap like this:
SimpleUSBCable 12V to MiniUSB Two-Prong Universal Dashcam Adapter Amazon.com: SimpleUSBCable 12V to MiniUSB Two-Prong Universal Dashcam Adapter: Home Audio & Theater

now, I tested multiple options with a multimeter, assuming the black wire is the ground, but couldn’t find the one that will be switched (ie on only when the car is on).
For the quick test (checking off/on/reverse) I did with a multimeter (again, assuming the black on the bottom of the harness is ground) it looks like the light brown on top is on only when the car is off, the brown (2nd from top) is on all the time, blue (3rd from top) is on unless the car is in reverse) and the gray is off all the time.

moreover, even when I plug the camera (Aukey 4K cam) to one of the wires that should be on, it doesn’t turn on, so not sure what’s going on...

This should be pretty straight forward but I guess I’m missing something simple...
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Not sure if I’m going to be much help as my project centers around an older Pilot. I’ve installed compass/home link/auto-dim mirrors, auxiliary relay box and 12V under hood lights etc tapping into switched 12V source under the dash or via fuse box. I think the mirror wires you tested may only be 5V which could explain why the dash cam is not powering up. Test the dash cam on a different 12V source to confirm it works.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
apparently, I've asked this before and got some good replies...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts