Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Pilot in the middle of Nov.
I have two questions...

1. Does the little rear spoiler deflect any air downward to keep dust from collecting on the rear window? I have to drive gravel roads quite often and hate it when that light dust blocks out the rear window.

2. We are trading in a 2002 Passat and there isn't a switch or button in the car that isn't illuminated at night. Is the Pilot similar? Like the window swithes and such? I've seen the night shots of the dash but nothing else.

Can hardly wait two more whole weeks!

AWESOME forums by the way! They have all reinforced my confidence in the decision to go with the Pilot.

And I did a search on these topics and couldn't find one. Hope I didn't overlook something.

·
Registered
725 Posts
INterior Lights

The only buttons that aren't illuminated are the radio and cruise control buttons on the steering wheel (EX Model Only).

I wish they were, because until you get acquainted with the button layout on the steering wheel, you need to turn on a map light to use the cruise control buttons.

Otherwise, it's all good!

As for the dust on the rear window - I haven't really noticed it being a big problem. I've been in rain and haven't seen a lot of water build up on the back window - so the spoiler appears to be working. Besides, you have a rear window wiper with a squirter!

·
Registered
385 Posts
rear window dust very minor for this type of vehicle. The EX (not sure about LX) has "deflector" type device at top of window/rear of roof- which presumably keeps the dust buildup to a minimum

·
Registered
469 Posts
Interior lights

Also missing are lights or backlighting for the HomeLink garage door opening system - I find it difficult to locate when pulling into the garage late at night...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dust on Hatch and Lighting

I've noticed some mist build up on the hatch glass, nothing bad and similar to my Accord EX Wagon (which didn't have a wind deflector).
We don't have enough dusty roads around here (in CT).
As to lighting, everything is visible except the HomeLink. That takes fumbling or looking at. I also find it take longer to activate the garage door than with the regular remote (which now sits inside so I can open the door remotely).

You'll love the Pilot, just remember its almost 6 feet wide.
Alan

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So long as the door switches light up. That is the main thing. Our Pathfinder didn't light up and sometimes you had to pay too much attention to the switches and not enough to the road. Another really great touch that our Passat has that I'd like to see more often is two little red LED's mounted in the bottom of the rearview mirror casting a dim glow on the console and the center of the dash. It's a nice touch.

Another question, is there a switch to turn all the interior lights on at once? Our Nissan had it but now the Passat doesn't, and I really miss it.

I wish my dealer wasn't 50 miles away or I'd just zip over there and check it out for myself!

Thanks!

·
Registered
919 Posts
I find the dust to be very similar to our minivan. It's just the shape of the vehicle that does it. Some spoilers on some vehicles do a fairly good job of reducing dust buildup, but I don't find that to be the case with the Pilot stock spoiler. I use a California Car Duster to keep the dust down on mine.

Chris

·
Registered
185 Posts
Interior Lights

In response to hilgerone's follow-up question, 3-position dash switch will turn on all interior lights, leave them door operated, or override door switches to leave them off.

Agree that lighted homelink switches and steering wheel switches would have been a nice touch. Takes a little fumbling in dark until you get used to them. Rest of interior illumination is nicely done.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
hilgerone said:
So long as the door switches light up. That is the main thing. Our Pathfinder didn't light up and sometimes you had to pay too much attention to the switches and not enough to the road. Another really great touch that our Passat has that I'd like to see more often is two little red LED's mounted in the bottom of the rearview mirror casting a dim glow on the console and the center of the dash. It's a nice touch.

Another question, is there a switch to turn all the interior lights on at once? Our Nissan had it but now the Passat doesn't, and I really miss it.

I wish my dealer wasn't 50 miles away or I'd just zip over there and check it out for myself!

Thanks!
Hi hilgerone...
You may want to check out this thread...

Did You Know? I Did Not Know That!
http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=547

Lot's of info on the little and not so little immenties on the Pilot discovered by Piloteers in the "Hey, check this out!" stage of ownership. :29:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is a great thread Sage! Everything you could want to know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Add lights on homelink

How hard would it be to add an LED or two on the homelink buttons and link it to the overhead lights?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Funny thing is, homelink does have a little light that comes on when you press the button, I guess to show you that it's being pressed. I'm alway moving when I press the button and don't have time to look at it but I did notice it once.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Dust on Rear Window

The Pilot spoiler REALLY helps prevent dust. My Sienna does not have one and just a trip around the block coats it with Dust.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Re: Dust on Rear Window

mikmax1 said:
The Pilot spoiler REALLY helps prevent dust. My Sienna does not have one and just a trip around the block coats it with Dust.
We have those same vehicles and I think our Pilot gets dusty on the back just as fast. We don't have a spoiler on our Sienna either. Wonder why the difference? Do you have the roof rack? I'm trying to think of what else might be disrupting the airstream.

Chris

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I remember correctly, the one I looked at on the lot basically was no more than an extension of the roof line with no opening that would direct airflow downward across the window. On my Pathfinder, it had a thin metal "visor" that ran at a 45 degree angle to the roofline and entended slightly above the level of the roof line and forced some of the flow downward. Unless the "wing" on the pilot causes some sort of rolling affect when the air passes off the end of it?

Also, heard today that my Pilot will probably be delayed by a week due to the parts shortage. Now I have to wait till the 3rd week of this month! Arghh.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dust on Rear Window

My EX Pilot picked up a moderate misting in the rain we had today (highway driving), so I'll assume that dust will accumulate. However, it wasn't all that bad, but worse than my Accord wagon.

And, it would have been nice to have some sort of back-lighting for the home-link buttons (an open door turns on the forward cabin light which helps).

·
Registered
191 Posts
I agree that the Homelink buttons should be illuminated, but I don't think you'll have too much trouble with the steering wheel buttons. I have gotten used to which button does what and don't have any problems using them at night. My only problem is having to reach down and press the main Cruise Control button on the dash. Someday, hopefully, auto manufacturers will design that system better. Even my wife's Cavalier has a system that runs completely from one stalk off the steering wheel!!
BTW, Hope you enjoy your Pilot. I can tell you that we LOVE ours.

Scott

·
Registered
95 Posts
We live on a dirt road, and if the road is very dry, or very wet, the whole back end gets really filthy. The spoiler is really nothing more than a nice housing for the third brake light IMO. Also, the plastic bezel that surrounds the back up lights, the license plate, and hatch release lever, seems to hold a lot of dirt. It seems like dirt just keeps coming out when putting the hose to it.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
aftermarket deflector?

Suppose there is a aftermarket air deflector made? I'm affraid it might not look very good though if you hung a deflector off the back of the spoiler. Anyone have any knowledge of one?

Matt

·
Registered
185 Posts
Dust to Dust

The Pilot and 98 Mountainer [no spoiler] collect dust at approximately the same rate.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts