Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had trouble with the rear vents falling apart? I went to take some friends out over Christmas and noticed that the rear left vent fins were all “collapsed” and falling out of the frame. You can re-insert them into the swivel frame, but they have come out again since then. I thought maybe my kids kicked them while riding in the back seat, but their legs can reach these vents. I plan to ask for this vent to be replaced on my next visit. Be careful of cheesy vents on the rear of this rough and tubble sport-ute!! (actually this is my 6th Honda and my other car is a CRV, so obviously I’m a big fan)

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I notice right rear vent was "too tight" about a week after delivery. When I was in for other warranty work, the service tech quickly pointed out that one vane was out of its joint and couldn't pivot. He also pointed to the car seat in the second row center, but the little one's foot misses the vent by about 10 inches.

They replaced the vent even though it could be "fixed" by pulling the vane back into position. Haven't had a problem in the six months since. You should be okay if get your vent replaced.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Yeah, your dealer should replace them for you. Mine did. Just make sure to take it to them in broken condition.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Had mine replaced too. The new ones are great.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mkell said:
Had mine replaced too. The new ones are great.
Just wondering, did they give you something different than what currently is in the vehicle? I just went to the dealer on Monday and they ordered new vents for me. I asked if they were "improved" vents and the person in the parts department just shrugged his shoulders. I guess I'll find out soon enough!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I noticed the same thing right before we sold our Pilot. It took about 5 minutes to fix them before the good doctor was pulling up to take one look before handing over a check.:p

I certainly did not want a few broken vents to spoil the deal. I'm not sure how it happened as we rarely have passengers in the Pilot and we have no kids.:confused: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
115 Posts
TimH said:
Has anyone had trouble with the rear vents falling apart? I went to take some friends out over Christmas and noticed that the rear left vent fins were all “collapsed” and falling out of the frame. You can re-insert them into the swivel frame, but they have come out again since then. I thought maybe my kids kicked them while riding in the back seat, but their legs can reach these vents. I plan to ask for this vent to be replaced on my next visit. Be careful of cheesy vents on the rear of this rough and tubble sport-ute!! (actually this is my 6th Honda and my other car is a CRV, so obviously I’m a big fan)
I have a month and a half old EX and one of the vanes in the Rear console AC duct is also broken. It happened right after we had someone in the middle seat of the second row for a couple-hour trip.

They did not put their feet up on there, but probably brushed their knee against it (inevitable considering the leg clearance, which is adequate, but not overly generous.) Honda needs to look at the design of the vanes and toughen them up pronto. We plan to ask them to repair it under warranty at first servicing.:( :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
Good to know this. I have experienced the same problem with both rear vents and was blaming the kids. Sounds like it's not all their fault.

·
Registered
328 Posts
same here

we just noticed the same thing here - came back from the dealer and there is was - didn't think it was the darling children...

Like RNPilot asked: wondering, did they give you something different than what currently is in the vehicle?

Anyone who's had them replaced know?

Also, how long does it take to replace them?

Once you fit the original one back together (like we did) - will it fall apart again?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Re: same here

2GREENCARS said:
we just noticed the same thing here - came back from the dealer and there is was - didn't think it was the darling children...

Like RNPilot asked: wondering, did they give you something different than what currently is in the vehicle?

Anyone who's had them replaced know?

Also, how long does it take to replace them?

Once you fit the original one back together (like we did) - will it fall apart again?
One vane was out of joint on delivery and the whole vent wouldn't pivot. The Dealer replaced the vent, but I'm sure the replacement is an identical part. No repeat problems for over 8 (?) months. (It was probably broken when installed or during the PDI.)

It was in the shop for over an hour, but they had two things to fix.

It was kinda funny, because they pointed at the car seat in the middle of the second row and suggested the "little one kicked it". They popped the vane back in during that visit and it seemed to work fine, but they still offered to replace the whole vent.
By the way, my kid needs to grow another 10 inches before the "little one's" foot can even reach the vent.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Both of ours broke on our trip down south. I yelled at the kids for a few minutes cause they did have their feet propped up on them. I was able to pull one out and fix it but the other one is not fixable because the plastic pivot on the center control blade is broken. Do you think they would replace it under warranty??

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Brew said:
Do you think they would replace it under warranty??
"Duh, It just broke" Repeat as neccessary! :2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
164 Posts
I guess I just have some dumb honest streak in me.

Um, it just broke!!
Um, it just broke!!

Um, it just broke!!

Um, it just broke!!

Um, it just broke!!

Um, it just broke!!

Um, it just broke!!

Um, it just broke!!
:13:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Brew said:
I guess I just have some dumb honest streak in me.

Um, it just broke!!
Um, it just broke!!

Um, it just broke!!

Um, it just broke!!

Um, it just broke!!

Um, it just broke!!

Um, it just broke!!

Um, it just broke!!
:13:
You may be right of course. In some instances, example if someone literally kicked it with their feet. "It just broke" would be a fair statement.

But let's just say you slammed your car door a LITTLE harder than usual and the car handle broke. I think we'd all agree it is a design defect because it is reasonable and expectable that doors get slammed shut a bit harder than necessary from time to time, and the car design should take that into account. (Engineers speak up here!!! Don't you design for expected occurrences, with a margin for overloads???)

Well those vents are TOO FRAGILE, and positioned in such a way that NORMAL moving about causes people to bump into them. For those situations I would call it a design defect. Honda needs to re-design to make it more robust and less subject to simple non-negligent damage.

:confused: ;) ;)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Does anyone know if replacement vents are stronger than the wimpy originals?

Mine are broken too. It sounds like a few people have had them fixed under warranty.

It's going on the list for my next trip to the service department!!!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:cool: I had mine fixed under warranty

·
Registered
241 Posts
Vents

I had mine replaced almost immediately after taking the thing home. The replacements have stayed in the sockets almost a year now. The service guy started on me about the kids until I mentioned that lots and lots of these have broken.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got both the front and rear vents broken by my son. The problem is the plastic joints are too weak. I fixed both of them by myself. I dissembled each one, found that the broken joint is like the shape of an arrow. Brought 2mm needle, cut it to be 2 0.5"a piece, use a flame to heat each piece up, and immediately insert each piece in the same position that the plastic joint was broken (you have to be fast). I've waited for a few sec than assembled each vent and pingo!!, it is OK and stronger than before. !!

Sorry no pic's !!.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts