Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone ever done the job on a 2013 pilot. I have a little clunk when hitting a bump on the rear passenger side. Changed the shocks this weekend and still have it so I’m going to do the sway bar links this weekend. They looked a little flat in the gasket areas. So I’m going to replace them. If that doesn’t fix the issue I guess it the rubber bushings will next choice. I saw some videos from A1auto that appeared easy but it was on a first generation pilot and another video the guy couldn’t get to it because he couldn’t slip it off and had to loosen 4 bolts of the cradle. Wondering if anyone has experience with it.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,335 Posts
Honda rarely changes a design on parts like this. So I suspect that the same process to replace the first gen will help you on your Pilot. Good luck, perhaps take photos and post

·
Registered
2009 EX-L RES
18 Posts
Will do if the sway bar links are not the dix for the clunk
I changed those sway bar bushings recently on my 2009, and I would think it is very similar if not the same on yours. It is a little tight to get the bolts off but I did not need to loosen any other bolts or anything to remove and replace them. Mine did not end up being the cause for my clunking but I thought for a few bucks here and there I would replace sway bar links and bushings along with my shocks and struts.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I changed those sway bar bushings recently on my 2009, and I would think it is very similar if not the same on yours. It is a little tight to get the bolts off but I did not need to loosen any other bolts or anything to remove and replace them. Mine did not end up being the cause for my clunking but I thought for a few bucks here and there I would replace sway bar links and bushings along with my shocks and struts.
I think the clunk is from the saw bar links but while I’m at it should change the bushings. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
134 Posts
Has anyone ever done the job on a 2013 pilot. I have a little clunk when hitting a bump on the rear passenger side. Changed the shocks this weekend and still have it so I’m going to do the sway bar links this weekend. They looked a little flat in the gasket areas. So I’m going to replace them. If that doesn’t fix the issue I guess it the rubber bushings will next choice. I saw some videos from A1auto that appeared easy but it was on a first generation pilot and another video the guy couldn’t get to it because he couldn’t slip it off and had to loosen 4 bolts of the cradle. Wondering if anyone has experience with it.
Double check to make sure it’s not the front sway bar links. I was convinced the same cluck was coming from the rear on our 2011 and it was the front sway bar links. The best way to check is to have the front windows down and place your hands between the door and the roof line and rock the vehicle back and forth to see if our can create the clunk.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m going to do the front brakes this weekend. I’ll check them thanks. But I orders the rear links. Gaskets were flat on both. So maybe it’s the clunk. Thanks for the heads up about the front.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
There should be no need to loosen 4 bolts of the cradle to replace the SB bushings or SB end links. If the SB end links are rusty they could be difficult to remove and the fastest solution is to cut them off. Inspect the SB bushings before replacing them. Try to isolate the clunk front versus rear as the cause may be different.
Footwear Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There should be no need to loosen 4 bolts of the cradle to replace the SB bushings or SB end links. If the SB end links are rusty they could be difficult to remove and the fastest solution is to cut them off. Inspect the SB bushings before replacing them. Try to isolate the clunk front versus rear as the cause may be different.
Thanks for the info on the bushing. Will do the test this weekend

·
Registered
322 Posts
I got the same clunk on my 2011, sounds like rear and I just replaced shocks so was going to order links and bushings next. Hope it fixes your issue.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got the same clunk on my 2011, sounds like rear and I just replaced shocks so was going to order links and bushings next. Hope it fixes your issue.
Relapsed them last sat still have a clunk that’s why this weekend is the sway bar links they look flat. Also my wife just got a screw in the tire so I had a chance to pull it off and playing with the swaybar I don’t think it’s the bushings definitely think the clock is coming from the links will find out this weekend

1 - 12 of 12 Posts