Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the front struts this past weekend. The rear shocks replacement seems easy enough. I am wondering if I need to do the rear springs at the same time. The car doesn’t seem to be sitting lower in the rear. I can find sever videos on replacing g the rear shocks but none on the springs on this generation Pilot. The process seems to be take off the wheel, remove the stabilizer from the control arm, lower the control arm and get the old spring out. Then replace the spring, the rubber seats and the bump stop. That seems straightforward.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I did the front struts this past weekend. The rear shocks replacement seems easy enough. I am wondering if I need to do the rear springs at the same time. The car doesn’t seem to be sitting lower in the rear. I can find sever videos on replacing g the rear shocks but none on the springs on this generation Pilot. The process seems to be take off the wheel, remove the stabilizer from the control arm, lower the control arm and get the old spring out. Then replace the spring, the rubber seats and the bump stop. That seems straightforward.
I've never felt the need to replace the springs.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
The car doesn’t seem to be sitting lower in the rear. I can find sever videos on replacing g the rear shocks but none on the springs on this generation Pilot. The process seems to be take off the wheel, remove the stabilizer from the control arm, lower the control arm and get the old spring out. Then replace the spring, the rubber seats and the bump stop. That seems straightforward.
That sounds about right. If there is no rear end sag then skip the springs for now and enjoy the new ride

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just replaced my rear springs and shocks @ 183,000km. The tech showed me the oem springs and they were fine wasted some $ but I get all my parts at cost so that helps.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never felt the need to replace the springs.
I don't doubt you. I am going on the assumption that the springs have the same 186k miles that the shocks do. I assume they would need to be replaced. Are they not a wear item?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I don't doubt you. I am going on the assumption that the springs have the same 186k miles that the shocks do. I assume they would need to be replaced. Are they not a wear item?
All depends on the wear and tear. If the vehicle was loaded down and driven on bad roads, I suppose springs could need replacing. But just because of milage..., No.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All depends on the wear and tear. If the vehicle was loaded down and driven on bad roads, I suppose springs could need replacing. But just because of milage..., No.
Gotcha. this one has never towed anything and never any offroad driving. My '03 is the tow vehicle. I tow a 4x8 utility trailer. I can tell the rear end is lower than the front end after the struts were replaced, so I should probably replace the springs on that.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Gotcha. this one has never towed anything and never any offroad driving. My '03 is the tow vehicle. I tow a 4x8 utility trailer. I can tell the rear end is lower than the front end after the struts were replaced, so I should probably replace the springs on that.
That sounds like a reasonable assessment. Maybe give us a before and after photo showing how the vehicles profile improves. This topic would be very interesting to many.

Reactions: crokett
1 - 8 of 8 Posts