Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have an 05 Honda pilot and needing some help. Last week we had an ice storm which was causing my rear spoiler that holds the top mount brake light above the tailgate to become loose and crunch against the roof if I attempted to open the tailgate. The weather has been warming up the last few days and yesterday while I was driving I watched my rear spoiler fly off and break into pieces, thankfully it was early morning and no one else was around. Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm wondering how hard is it to replace that rear spoiler and should I go with an OEM replacement or just hit my local junk yards? Thanks

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
That's unfortunate but perhaps the 16 year old plastic had enough slamming. OEM seems to be available but the price may affect your decision. Check out ebay or the yard for a replacement. When you get a chance post a pic of the damage as I'd like to see the innards of that plastic piece.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did the same thing years ago. Lifted the tailgate with ice on the roof. Duct tape held for a while and at my father's urging priced the repair at two body shops. On the way to the second shop, the spoiler flew off like Tom Hank's sail in "Cast Away". Now I had add the price of new light and harness. Any rate:

Everything around the spoiler + parts 5, 2.

There was / is a TSB showing proper placement of the spoiler.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,857 Posts
Sorry to hear of the issue. I suspect that water intrusion, freezing temps and aging plastics all contributed to the failure leading to the separation of the spoiler from the vehicle. At least you have the ability to replace it still on a 15 year old vehicle.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,177 Posts
I did the same thing years ago. Lifted the tailgate with ice on the roof. Duct tape held for a while and at my father's urging priced the repair at two body shops. On the way to the second shop, the spoiler flew off like Tom Hank's sail in "Cast Away". Now I had add the price of new light and harness. Any rate:

Everything around the spoiler + parts 5, 2.

There was / is a TSB showing proper placement of the spoiler.
You should have used gaffers tape.😁

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
Spoiler flew off? Was that before, or after you lauched it into hyperspace LOL.

Oh yeah, IFAIK, junk yard items ARE OEM. I realize you may have meant new vs. Bone yard.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Found the mounting dimensions in post from John802:

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,236 Posts
If you DIY it, this should help.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts