Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to install the rear splash guard.
I read the instruction, it seemed simple.
Any one has any inside tip for this installation. Thank you

·
Registered
481 Posts
My mud guards are arriving from Tim (Hondacuraworld.com) tomorrow. Plan to install them tomorrow night.

Just printed the CollegeHillsHonda instructions.

Man, this site/group is great.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I ended up putting a washer on the screw that's reused on the inside wheel well. Just cause I noticed that the screw head barely cleared the holes in the splash guard.

Should be a piece of cake. Just find a small phillips driver so you don't have to jack your car up or take the wheel off.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Piece of cake...

It took me about 15-minutes to put the rear mudguards on my PILOT. My only tip for you is to use a short screwdriver.

Good Luck!
PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Piece of cake...

PILOTinginCO said:
It took me about 15-minutes to put the rear mudguards on my PILOT. My only tip for you is to use a short screwdriver.

Good Luck!
PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO
Something about this size should do....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Re: Piece of cake...

kemosabe said:

Something about this size should do....
The single best thing for me was simply jacking the Pilot up to provide more room between the tire and the wheel-well.

Easy installation overall!!! :29:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Installed the Splash/Mud Guards in about 20 minutes this afternoon, without jacking up the Pilot. Looks good.

The only suggestion I would make is.........
screw the self-tapping screw in first, without the mud guard in place, just to make the new hole. Then, take that screw back out and attach the mud guard.

Overall, a very easy installation with the right tools (i.e. short or 90deg. angle screwdriver.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The hard part is when you have to drill a hole on the mud guard . I don't have a small drill . So i used thin screwdriver first to make a thin hole and then bit broder pin to increase the size of that hole . It's simple , shoun't take more than 10 minutes .

·
Registered
52 Posts
If anything bad will happen, it will happen to me.

Yesterday I decided to install my new mud flaps on our two new Pilots. First, I did the wife's, cause if I made any major errors at least it wouldn't be on MY Pilot. Just kidding, just kidding.... Anyway, I pre-drilled the indent holes with my drill on an angle. It worked fine. When installing the last screw (On the upper wheel well) the screw would go in easily for a few turns and then just stop. I figured I had it cross threaded, so I took it out numerous times and ran in to the same problem every time. Then I decided that it probably just needs to make a new thread, so I torc'd it. Well, it did all the classic signs of a horrible crossthread. It didn't hold, refused to go in all the way, and looked miserable. Well, hope against hope (and near tears at this point) I removed everything. I stuck my finger back there and found that the hole the screw was supposed to be going it to shifted. I re-alligned it and it all went back together perfectly. I did about a dozen hail mary's and I'm not even catholic. Well, then it was on to my Pilot. The first flap was perfect. The second flap, very last screw, the one that goes in to the wheel well, I ran in to some problems. The stupid little head of the stupid screw smashed it's way through the flap's hole and wasn't holding the flap at all. I had to add a washer to hold the flap in place, but now I'm worried that it's going to loosen up and fall out. Even worse, I'm afraid to tighten it much because less of the screw is going in to the body and I don't want to destroy what little threads are holding on. I'm extrodinarily anal when it comes to new things, so I'm thinking about buying new flaps just to replace the one that I screwed up. Does anyone know what those screws actually screw in to? It seemed like it was just plastic, but if it's actually screwing in to some metal somewhere I'd feel a lot better.

·
Registered
31 Posts
From my experience, the material that the screws go into is plastic. When I installed mine last year, I "stripped" the threads quite easily on one of the screws.

Quite frankly, the whole rear mudflap construction and installation couldn't be more cheesy. In addition to the shoddy screw connections, I'm not to pleased with the appearance or functionality of the recessed areas on the INSIDE of the flap.

See http://www.piloteers.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1061&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

This is where all the road grime gets tossed up from the tire, and a perfect place for muck to hide when washing.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just installed our set I got for Christmas tonight. Jacked up each side and took the tire off to make it easier, figured I'd be checking the torque on the tires wheels anyhow.

From reading the directions, it says to not use 2 of the 4 screws which I think is silly. I used the new screws, 2 per side. I used a new screw for the inside hole as I saw that the screw was about to pull thru that slotted hole, then I reused a screw for the outside bottom and put the other new screw in the top outside. Looks good. Also put in my Pro-Fit VSM mount for the SkyFit 2, will have to run the antenna sometime tomorrow maybe as right now it's just sorta laying across the floor in back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts