Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing my rear shocks yesterday and I tried to remove the bottom bolt in order to take the shock out. I made the mistake of hitting the end of the stud without the nut being attached and damaged the stud. Can anyone tell me how to remove the stud. I hope I do not have to replace the entire knuckle.

It is the bolt that connect the bottom shock to the knuckle. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help, I rented a ball joint press from autozone and it popped right out. I guess I needed more pressure on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys, I am in a similar situation: I was able to loosen lower shock bolt, but I can't take it out, it may be slightly bend. It makes squawking sounds and does not rotate while about 8mm out. I thought I broke the bolt, but I was able to tighten it back. Any suggestion how long the threaded engagement, and how to push this bolt out, possibly using extractor kit? Thank you! -

·
Registered
20 Posts
on my 2007 the bottom bolt does not come out, only the nut. The top the bolt comes off as the nut is welded. So process is take top bolt off, take off bottom nut and compress the shock from the top and slide off the shock off bottom bolt.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Unfortunately in my 2009 bushing locked in a clevis (picture on a right), compare to cantilever mount on 2007, left one, and bolt getting stuck about 8mm out of the way. I am afraid to apply more torque to break this bolt. Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had the exact same issue on my 2011. Not sure if you are trying to take it out or put the bolt back in? Mine was stuck coming out and I ended up using a Sawzall and cutting the bolt off. It took less than 2 minutes to cut the bolt.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you are trying to take the bolt out. Use a lot of penetrating oil and tighten and loosen the bolt working the bolt lose. It should finally come out. If not, cut the bolt out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, it makes sense, thanks! If I can get it far enough, I may just cut it out, or push it out. I think it is getting stuck in a last few threads. My 1000ft-lbf impact wrench does not do anything, but I can rotate it out about 8mm using breaker bar. Those 8 mm are quit loose after few back and forth rounds, but I just do not want to break it, while it is still partially in the nut. I will try to work it out a bit more, and try another side, to see how long is the thread engagement.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Did you also try cleaning any exposed threads, on the end of the bolt, with a wire brush?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you also try cleaning any exposed threads, on the end of the bolt, with a wire brush?
I've liberally used commercial grade penetrant, but not a wire brush. Bolt tip is quite rusty, but it has a long conical tip at the end, so exposed end should not prevent turning. It may be some full thread exposed, hard to see. I will take a closer look when I get there this weekend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
(2010 here) Im sure its because the bolt bends. I had a lot of wear when I finally got it out, lots of penetrating oil, severe heat (didn't help) and loud cranking noise with heavy resistance the entire time-use long ratchet handle and a cheater bar.
Make sure you take pressure off-you can remove top nut/bolt but then top will bang with each crank, i left them on loosely and jacked from the bottom to take stress off the bolt. Even then arm strength and leverage got it out.
But make sure you can get a new bolt before starting this job. hondapartsnow says the bolt is "discontinued" with no replacement part #. My stealer still had one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts