Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 and 2009 rear sag --> anybody put in adjustable rear drop links? Though searching the forums I've seen lots of talk about air bags, adjustable shocks, etc but didn't see talk about just adding more pre-load to the rear sway bar. FYI- many manufactures make these sort of parts. Looking for first hand experience.

-matt
north idaho

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
The rear anti-roll bar sees no load until uneven pressure is applied to the suspension. Lengthening or shortening the links won't change the height of the rear. The anti-roll bar is a torsion spring, applying tension or compression to either side suspension based solely on what the other side is doing that this side isn't.

If the rear is sagging, the solution is new spring. Tired/worn rear shocks will contribute some to rear sag in a couple ways. Modern shocks tend to be pressurized with nitrogen gas to minimize foaming in the oil. That pressure in the shock tube carries a little bit of the weight of the car. There's some extra "wear" put on the coil springs when they are repeatedly flexed due to poor damping in the shock absorbers. For that, you'll want to replace both the springs and the shocks at the same time.

Last but not least, as cars age, they often assume the personal physique of the owners. At least mine seem to. At some critical point when I notice my butt is dragging too much, I go on a concerted effort to shed "junk in the trunk".

One of my brothers had a longtime habit of driving the bigger Chevy Impalas. He'd shop for a car only after a few hundred thousand miles and typically the second or third engine or transmission. The trunk was always filled with critical stuff, and that stuff would be moved from car to car. His wife finally told him he was getting a compact FWD car instead of the boat. His biggest worry? Where would he put all that stuff he'd been hauling around all those years. Wife suggested a dumpster, since the only time it ever came out was to move it from old trunk to new trunk at car replacement time. My wife has a similar issue but doesn't go through cars that fast. Back seat is occupied on one side, and there's a row of stuff that lives permanently in the rear of her 4Runner. How many shopping bags to you need? A milk crate full of spare Kleenex, a lifetime supply of books-on-disc, and a set of midget sweatpants and shirt, plus a pair of ancient sneakers so she can walk home from the local apocalypse.

Recommendation: Take -everything- out of the car. Clean the car thoroughly. The only things that go back in are the ones that you've used in the last year.

:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts