Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I have done that. However it seems that there are some other screws both on top and on the bottom of the lights which I can find a way to access it.

·
Registered
10,238 Posts

·
Registered
10,238 Posts
This member did it, presumably. He provided helpful diagrams. But it is indeed more complicated than it should be.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This member did it, presumably. He provided helpful diagrams. But it is indeed more complicated than it should be.

Yes, I did noticed that.

Yesterday I went to a car wrecker and I removed one myself, it is quite a time consuming procedure.

But, for now, time is what I have the most.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Charles

·
Registered
2006 EX-L 4WD Nav
65 Posts
I had a crack in one of mine, ordered a replacement and tried to do it myself. I was thinking it couldn't be that hard to replace myself, but it was. I ended up taking it to a body shop.

I believe the whole license plate trim piece needs to be removed in order to access them. It was less than an hour of labor.

·
Registered
10,238 Posts
I believe the whole license plate trim piece needs to be removed in order to access them.
Yup, and according to the attachments above, you have to remove the entire tailgate inner panel to do that.

Kind of a nutty design, like having to remove the front bumper just to swap out your headlight assembly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup, and according to the attachments above, you have to remove the entire tailgate inner panel to do that.

Kind of a nutty design, like having to remove the front bumper just to swap out your headlight assembly.
View attachment 135394
Solved.
I just partially removed the inner panel.

it was not that hard.

thank you for the help.

Obs: the marks shown on the picture is dirt and not scratches. The job done resulted on 0 scratches. Lol

·
Registered
185 Posts
What a coincidence as I replaced the one on the right side of my '05 today. I had thought this was gonna be a ten minute job as I had pulled off the small access cover on the inner plastic door panel months ago to see what was involved. I saw the two screws behind it and I naturally assumed that's all there was to it..remove the screws and simply pull it out..easy peasy....WRONG.

I have the FSM(Thank God) and it guided me through this overly complicated procedure. I had to jump around to three or four different sections in the FSM but I finally was able to replace the damaged lens. It took some cursing but I doggedly kept at it because I refused to let it beat me.

In short, you have to remove the cargo door interior panel( the FSM says to remove ALL of the panels which run around the window beforehand but it's not necessary) to gain access to the seven 8mm screws and three plastic retainer clips which hold the entire license plate trim panel to the body. Two of the plastic clips are easily accessible but the one in the middle is located behind a piece of metal framework of the door....a great big WTF moment. You'll need a long screwdriver (and a flashlight) to be able to push on the two flexible areas on the plastic retainer clip which allow it to pass through the hole. While you're doing this you'll need to wedge a plastic trim panel removal tool underneath the license plate trim panel so that damn clip will pop through it's hole when you release it.

Then you carefully close the cargo door and then pry off the license plate trim piece from the only thing holding it to the body at this point...another damn clip. I broke that last clip but I had one in my inventory from owning Hondas over the last 35 years.

There are two screws(top and bottom) which hold the back-up light housing to the panel.

Putting everything back together was ten times easier than dismantling the thing. By the end of it you fully understand what's involved and the plastic clips are always MUCH easier to install than to pry off.

If I didn't have the FSM I would've been scrambling to find an online tutorial.

Have "fun" ?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,847 Posts
What a coincidence as I replaced the one on the right side of my '05 today. I had thought this was gonna be a ten minute job as I had pulled off the small access cover on the inner plastic door panel months ago to see what was involved. I saw the two screws behind it and I naturally assumed that's all there was to it..remove the screws and simply pull it out..easy peasy....WRONG.

I have the FSM(Thank God) and it guided me through this overly complicated procedure. I had to jump around to three or four different sections in the FSM but I finally was able to replace the damaged lens. It took some cursing but I doggedly kept at it because I refused to let it beat me.

In short, you have to remove the cargo door interior panel( the FSM says to remove ALL of the panels which run around the window beforehand but it's not necessary) to gain access to the seven 8mm screws and three plastic retainer clips which hold the entire license plate trim panel to the body. Two of the plastic clips are easily accessible but the one in the middle is located behind a piece of metal framework of the door....a great big WTF moment. You'll need a long screwdriver (and a flashlight) to be able to push on the two flexible areas on the plastic retainer clip which allow it to pass through the hole. While you're doing this you'll need to wedge a plastic trim panel removal tool underneath the license plate trim panel so that damn clip will pop through it's hole when you release it.

Then you carefully close the cargo door and then pry off the license plate trim piece from the only thing holding it to the body at this point...another damn clip. I broke that last clip but I had one in my inventory from owning Hondas over the last 35 years.

There are two screws(top and bottom) which hold the back-up light housing to the panel.

Putting everything back together was ten times easier than dismantling the thing. By the end of it you fully understand what's involved and the plastic clips are always MUCH easier to install than to pry off.

If I didn't have the FSM I would've been scrambling to find an online tutorial.

Have "fun" ?
Boy,.....I say boy, you should have known better than that. You're driving a Honda son. Honda don't make anything easy when it comes to fixing em. You gotta,......I say you gotta plan on the repair taking some time there boy. That's the Honda way dontcha know. ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts