Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The right rear door would not move and unlatch the door. It was like it was stuck. So I pulled the door panel to have a look see.

Getting the outside handle off was a real bear. Access was restricted by the window channel. Managed to get it free.

Upon inspecting the mechanism on the back. It was a broken piece of plastic that holds the torsion spring that blocked the handle shaft from moving.

Fortunately with the piece removed...the leg of the spring still held and was out of the way for the shaft to move. I really did not want to price out what Honda wanted for a handle.

After getting that sorted out...there was still something not working right. After messing with trying to get it to unlatch it was not working from either the outside handle rod or inside handle cable. It seemed like the child lock was messed up. I decided to pull out the entire latch assembly. This was no easy feat. The window channel still in the way and it was a super tight fit. But I managed to get it out to have a look.

After fiddling with the child lock mechanism I got it seated back (it had popped out somehow) and everything seemed to operate fine. So back together it all went. Getting the latch back in there was tricky again.

Reinstalled the outside handle and the clips that hold it. The front one was easy...but getting your hands back into the rear one was quite a challenge.

This was looking through a hole and I could just barely get my fingers in there with my hand clamped under the window channel to try and get the bracket back on. Very poor design for maintenance and assembly for sure.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Adding the rest since there was a 10 image limit.

Bracket installed.

The rod to the latch mechanism goes into the blue clip. Again...very hard to reach and insert. Looking in from the side here where my hand and arm go. So when installing...I had to look through a small peep hole and feel with my hands to get it connected.

Interior cover reinstalled.

Inside handle and lock cables re-attached.

And the offending plastic piece that caused the issue.

All fixed up and back together now. Door handle working fine. And did not cost me anything but some grimy hands and a few obligatory hand cuts.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,178 Posts
Probably from someone grabbing the handle from the outside, it slipping and snapping back suddenly, cracking the piece of plastic? That's Whack! LOL

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No telling. The wife and kiddos are hard on the vehicles. I am always fussing them for slamming the doors on my Sierra.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not as bad as I thought it might be. I imagine the latch would be a fair bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts