Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear liftgate/door on our 2013 Pilot EXL is stuck and won't open. The button on the driver side door or on the remote doesn't make any difference.

It appears to be locked from inside, but the 'door open' warning light/sound will stay on even though the door is fully closed.

I tried to open it manually from inside, but it does not work. Any suggestion? Thanks!!!

·
Administrator
15,585 Posts
Is any piece of matting or carpet caught in the latch?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
unlock all doors ... go to the back press the handle button feel for it to activate and Pull real hard ..it's jammed

·
Administrator
15,585 Posts
Plus see if you can get a helping push from inside.

Three causes of jammed locks in my experience on three different brands. Mat jammed in lock, door side of latch loose, mechanism jammed by gunk and wouldn't operate. Hoping it's one of these as they are cheap and easy to fix

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you guys were right.... it was stuck on some sticky substance... I had to pull it really hard that the rubber strip came a little loose
Thank you both!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
That same thing happened to me one summer after going through the car wash a few times with the hot wax option. I don't think we had opened the hatch for a while in between washes and when I went to open it, it was stuck to the rubber strips. So now, after I go through the car wash, I open the hatch to make sure I break the seal before it bonds.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Spend a few minutes with your favorite paint cleaner and sealer/wax, and treat the painted surfaces inside the door, hood and hatch openings. Pay particular attention to the places where the rubber seals contact the paint.

Dow-Corning makes a pretty impressive prep compound for the vinyls bulb moldings used on our cars. Look for DC-111 silicone o-ring lube. Then a very small bit gets rubbed completely into the mating faces of the various moldings and seals. Use Windex on those seals first to get them clean if they are less than perfectly clean now.

These are classic-car-owner tricks that do a lot to save the moldings from sticking and getting torn apart as they age, especially important with cars that sit for extended times with the doors and lids closed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts