Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to save people some time, the screw size for the rear license plate nuts:

M6, 1.00 pitch

I got M6 x 20, 1.00 pitch stainless steel screws and they were a little long, but worked fine.

My saga at the local hardware store took about 40 minutes trying different ones, and I never would have found it if it weren't for the help of the friendly hardware man.

-Newt:eek:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Casanewt said:
Just to save people some time, the screw size for the rear license plate nuts:

M6, 1.00 pitch

I got M6 x 20, 1.00 pitch stainless steel screws and they were a little long, but worked fine.

My saga at the local hardware store took about 40 minutes trying different ones, and I never would have found it if it weren't for the help of the friendly hardware man.

-Newt:eek:
Casanewt, just out of curiosity, does the Pilot have 2 or 4 screw holes for mouting the license plate?

I think my Civic only had 2 screw holes at the top, and my Accord definitely only has 2 screw holes at the top. I usually like to put a clear cover over my plate, and considering that license plates have 4 holes on them, I was always curious why my previous Hondas only had 2 holes at the top.

I'm sure there is a perfectly legitimate explanation for this, but does anyone know it? Its not like my license plate is going to fall off the car or anything like that. Its still nice and tight and doesn't rattle, but I would like to see it more flush to the back of the car than it is.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Only two holes at the top. Also, my Pilot already had the screws in the threads. As a matter of fact, I've never had a vehicle where I've had to buy screws for the plates. So who else has been getting screwed out of screws besides Soapplant??!! :p

Chris

·
Registered
509 Posts
xyzzy said:
Only two holes at the top. Also, my Pilot already had the screws in the threads. As a matter of fact, I've never had a vehicle where I've had to buy screws for the plates. So who else has been getting screwed out of screws besides Soapplant??!! :p

Chris
Oh, I've been screwed for exactly 88 days now, since we ordered our Pilot on May 24, but actually never have been missing license plate screws, and definitely don't expect to be with the Pilot.

Anyone know why there's only 2 screw holes?

Anyone been waiting longer than May 24 on their Pilot?

Sounds like Casanewt was the one getting screwed with the screws. Not quite sure...

·
Registered
919 Posts
Doh! My mistake. Didn't look back far enough at the thread starter. It's early, what do you expect?

Soapplant, it sounds like your "screw" job is much bigger. Do you think your dealer is running you around or do you think it's honestly just lack of allocation for them? I hope your wait ends soon!

Chris

·
Registered
509 Posts
xyzzy said:
Doh! My mistake. Didn't look back far enough at the thread starter. It's early, what do you expect?

Soapplant, it sounds like your "screw" job is much bigger. Do you think your dealer is running you around or do you think it's honestly just lack of allocation for them? I hope your wait ends soon!

Chris
Chris, my "screw" job is related mostly to the Sandstone color choice. When we placed the order on May 24, we were told that it wouldn't be a problem. A couple of weeks later, I noticed the "not available until Fall 2002" foot note in the brochure, so I called and asked again - "no problem" was the response again.

Well around 4th of July, still with no production date, I hit the ceiling - called the Sales Mangager and General Manager. They informed me that the delay was related to the Sandstone color choice, so what did we expect. Well, I went nuts. All of the other alternatives put us in mid August, so we just decided to wait another couple of weeks for the original color choice.

But we do feel we were getting the run-around, on lots of stuff. For a repeat customer who always has their cars serviced there, I just felt there was a terrible lack of communication with us. Got the deposit and got quiet. Now that the Pilot is on the way, of course, they're awfully chatty all of a sudden. Was told a couple of weeks ago that it was important to get it out by the month end! I guess just when its convenient for them...

This is only my third new car purchase, but we have done a lot of shopping, and I'm disappointed to admit that it was probably the worst experience to date. Just didn't want to go elsewhere and have to wait longer.

Lots of other commentary, but I don't want to bore others with my experience...

:19:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Good luck. I'm sure when it's all over, you'll be happy with your vehicle and color choice. From what I've seen, it's a great looking color.

Chris

·
Registered
168 Posts
As for the screws, my Pilot as well as all the Honda's on my lot have four rear screws. The front only have two.

As for SoapPlant's dealings with the dealer, I am surprised they lead you to believe there would not be a problem getting a Sage or Sandstone before "fall". I think they were only trying to keep your business in house, telling you what you wanted to hear.

Good luck, the Sandstone color is great.

·
Registered
664 Posts
hubby
I have two screws in the rear plate and four up front. I didn't notice four in the back. Did you mean the opposite? Then again I don't need a front plate so it is off now.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I was wondering about that. I was thinking about the possibilities of how they got four in the back and the thoughts weren't pretty. It mostly had to do with sheet metal screws... Ouch!

Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hum... was also wondering why Honda did not just put in additional screws in the back so I asked our service a manager. He said is was a cost saving issue - adding screws is a six or seven step process during manufacturing and avoiding them, given the number of vehicles Honda makes, saves them millions of dollars - OK millions sounds like alot but I guess every little bit counts. We had to stick additional little pads behind out plate to stop the ANNOYING rattle. Few other issues but otherwise love our Honda.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I didn't drill holes (ack!) in my tailgate, but I bought a package of plastic license plate "bolts and nuts" from K-mart, and fastened them in the bottom holes of the plate and frame, and placed a couple bump-ons where they touched the tailgate to stop the rattles. I did the same on the Scubaru.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
waynerd said:
I didn't drill holes (ack!) in my tailgate, but I bought a package of plastic license plate "bolts and nuts" from K-mart, and fastened them in the bottom holes of the plate and frame, and placed a couple bump-ons where they touched the tailgate to stop the rattles. I did the same on the Scubaru.
In general the bump-ons should go on the car not the accessory!

Behind the license plate does not matter much, but they can rub the paint over time.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
The Pilots are delivered with two small foam pads to cushion the license plate when you close the tailgate. The problem is that they are too soft so that when you close the tailgate, the the license plate rattles. Many members have replaced the soft foam pads with bumpons. (I've been giving the bumpons away free if you buy any of my protective products.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.